Mild Reflux?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Mild Reflux?

Post by GoEmGo » 22 Mar 2020, 13:03

Hi all

Monty is now an active 15 month old and is doted on by all. He has always had the odd reflux-y/regurgitation type thing going on. I say this hesitantly because it appears like he has brought the tiniest amount of something into his mouth but swallows it back down instantly and it doesn't bother him in the slightest. He eats like a horse, drinks enough, is healthy, and pees and poops as normal. More recently, the reflux-style action is a little more frequent. Perhaps half a dozen times a day he will bring something up into his mouth (I have never ever seen it) and it is swallowed again straight away. This has also woken him up from sleeping on occasion. There's no regularity to it either.

Has anyone had any experience of this? I'm happy to take him to the vet (just wary of this at the moment with coronavirus) but also keen to explore more natural remedies.

Many thanks.

Emma and Monty

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Mild Reflux?

Post by zeta1454 » 22 Mar 2020, 16:19

Hi Emma - if Monty is perfectly well apart from the mild reflux it may be better to wait until the current situation with the coronavirus is passed before going to the vet unless things get worse for Monty of course.

A lot of dogs do periodically regurgitate food or small amounts of bile so it may be nothing at all to worry about. However, there can be issues with the oesophagus which could become serious if stomach acid is constantly regurgitated.

Recommendations for acid reflux issues are to feed smaller meals more often, avoid fatty food and add probiotics. I would also suggest maybe trying Dorwest Herbs Tree Barks Powder which is excellent for a range of digestive issues. I have heard that chiropractic treatment can also help with dogs who have reflex problems although this would have to follow diagnosis and referral from a vet so not appropriate just now.

A couple of links to products that I have used with ours for digestive issues although no experience with reflux on a regular basis.

https://www.lintbells.com/products/yudigest-for-dogs

https://www.dorwest.com/blog/soothe-dog ... ks-powder/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 22 Mar 2020, 16:41

I can second tree bark. I use Slippery Elm Powder made into a syrup when any excess mucus appears. Soothes an irritated/inflamed lining of the oesophagus/tummy.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo » 23 Mar 2020, 09:34

Thank you both for the advice.

Monty has been taking a yudigest tablet every day since he was 6 months old. Definitely helps his tummy and his digestive system is stronger for it. Perhaps we could try the Dorwest. I wonder if it is related to his food too, but I'm not willing to change it at the moment. Like I say, the mild reflux doesn't bother him one bit... Will probably see how it goes and keep monitoring it.

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 » 23 Mar 2020, 17:54

The trouble with reflux Emma is that it is acidic and can cause oesophagus erosion so not good to leave on a long term basis.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.

GoEmGo

Post by GoEmGo » 23 Mar 2020, 18:16

Yes, that's the pickle. I'm not sure if it's reflux or minor regurgitation. I never see anything to know! One thing I have noticed is it happens on waking from an afternoon snooze. I don't think it wakes him up but as he moves to sit up from lying down, he has the tiniest reflux/regurgitation. I see nothing. He swallows. And then bounces off to play! :-\