Neutering

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Volumnus1
Puppy
First Name: Scott

Neutering

Post by Volumnus1 » 27 Mar 2020, 03:35

I really don't want to neuter my male miniature schnauzer. I believe the health benefits are exaggerated by vets to prevent accidental pregnancies, reducing the number of dogs in kill shelters.

I've cancelled two appointments to have Reggie neutered. Today finally convinced me that it has to be done.

I have two miniature schnauzers. Reggie is 11 months old. He is intact. He weighs 20 lbs. Mollie is much smaller and has been spayed. She is 1.5 years old and only weighs 10 lbs. Thus, Reggie is twice as big.

Reggie never tries to fight her. If anything, she has nipped him a few times. They play play chase and wrestle nonstop. However, Reggie is so excitable, for example when we leave and return home, that I'm afraid he's going to hurt her accidentally.

My biggest concern, though, reared its head today. Reggie runs away. Mollie will stay in the yard. I have a fenced in backyard, but he has escaped through the front side of the house twice now. Today he ran under the closing garage door today and sped off like a speeding bullet out of the yard. I chased him for 30 minutes. He went into a neighbors yard who has a pitbull inside an invisible fence. I was able to chase Reggie out of their yard before he met his maker. I finally wore him down and caught him.

Reggie is extremely loyal and affectionate. He will wait outside the door while I'm in the restroom. He much prefers me over my wife. I just hate to do it to him, but eventually he is going to escape and get killed. I hope getting him neutered will lead to our being able to trust him, like we can Mollie, not to run off.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Neutering

Post by zeta1454 » 27 Mar 2020, 06:51

Hi Scott - I can understand your fears re Reggie getting lost or coming to harm if he runs away. He is most likely still in his adolescent phase just now so will be more likely to disregard training, play up and generally cause mayhem as his hormones are affecting his behaviour. This is often a phase which dogs pass through and do settle down as they mature.

However if you feel it would be better to have him castrated, this may help but is not a guarantee. Neutering dogs of either sex does not entirely take away the hormones as they are produced in other parts of the body too and behavioural changes are not certain. Training is almost always the answer to behavioural issues unless very much sexually driven such as running after in-season bitches or persistent scent marking / peeing around the home.

There are a couple of links here which have more information although it sounds as though you have already researched this yourself:

https://www.apbc.org.uk/wp-content/uplo ... nefits.pdf

https://www.wolftucker.co.uk/blog/neute ... -decision/

Is there a possibility of you being able to try Suprelorin with Reggie which may give you an idea of how successful a castration would be in altering his behaviour before going ahead with the operation if you are really reluctant? There is a very useful post on the Forum from one of our members who tried this route with her own miniature schnauzer detailing the changes in his behaviour although the reasons were not the same as yours but it could be worth reading through too:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=24139

If you do decide to go ahead, I hope it does work out successfully as I really do understand your fears over Reggie coming to harm if he runs away. The operation is very straightforward and healthy dogs recover well after the surgery so he should be fine :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Volumnus1
Puppy

Post by Volumnus1 » 27 Mar 2020, 22:16

Reggie definitely marks, just not in the house thankfully. They are both 100% house broken. I even have a black light flashlight to make sure. At least twice he has actually peed on poor Mollie as she squatted to pee. He walked by, cocked his leg, and peed all down her side before she knew what hit her. If I take him on a walk, he probably marks 100 different objects.

He growls and barks a lot less than he once did. Mollie is much more of a growler and barker than Reggie. Reggie, though, being bigger, is scarier to children. He will be barking and wagging his tail full speed. He has never snapped at anyone. He's just vocal.

My worry is that neutering him will change his personality. He has boundless energy and loves to go places with me. I have a doggie seatbelt in the back seat that attaches to a harness. He sits there as quiet as a mouse just taking it all in. I've never seen a dog who loved to be in the car as much as him. You could easily forget he's with you. I don't want him to become a couch dog, but I can't have him running away from me. He is inevitable going to get away at some time or another. Here in Tennessee, the most popular breed by far is the pitbull. At the local dog park, there are five pitbulls to every other type of dog. Fortunately, most of the parks have a separate area for small dogs. I have even looked into getting an invisible fence for the front yard, which seems crazy since I have a fenced in back yard. Our subdivision won't let us fence in the front yard.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 28 Mar 2020, 12:03

In my (limited) experience with 3 different male dogs being neutered, it really didn't change their personality. Two of these were not neutered until over 6 years old and one was a year old. They were still as active and their temperament remained the same. We had the operation done with these dogs due to avoiding unwanted pregnancy with our unspayed bitches and there were no behavioural issues before or after the op.

I think that once a dog is neutered and adult, some families are not as engaged with them and no longer take them out as much as when they were young and just generally don't do anything interesting or exciting with their dog and so they become 'couch potato' dogs out of boredom. If you do have Reggie neutered, once he has recovered from the operation, continue to take him out, play with him, involve him in family activities and continue training games etc. and there is no reason why he should become lethargic. Some dogs are also just less active by temperament anyway and prefer to snooze on the sofa rather than go out for exercise but if Reggie is not like that now there is no reason why he should become like that after neutering.

You may need to adjust his food intake after neutering as the metabolism can slow down in some neutered dogs although I am not totally convinced that this is a major concern in an active dog. Putting on weight after neutering could lead to a dog being less inclined to exercise though so it is something to bear in mind.

I would not worry about temperament change after neutering unless Reggie is a fearful or anxious dog as there is some evidence that this can worsen in some dogs after castration but just to be aware that it also may not necessarily solve the issue of Reggie running off. Roaming is one of the behaviours which can be solved by neutering in a male dog but it is not guaranteed.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell » 28 Mar 2020, 15:16

Our previous dog Barney didn't run off from the house but at the same age as Reggie would run the full length of the beach to go see another dog. Totally deaf to any calls to him. I did a lot of trying with him on a long line which meant he took notice. I didn't have him neutered I think he would have been the same wanting to see other dogs.

Our neighbours have a dog who was very much like Reggie, they had him neutered hoping it would calm him and stop the running off. The only difference it made was he just totally started to focus on food. He's 9 now and still escapes going wondering looking for food.

I'd look at increasing your training see if it makes a difference before having the op

I'd
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

Volumnus1
Puppy

Post by Volumnus1 » 28 Mar 2020, 15:40

I appreciate the valuable insight. It's a tough decision. Mollie was already 18 months old when I got her. She had already been spayed and was too thin for my liking. She was all legs. I've upped her calories, and she is now looking like a short but thick mini schnauzer. Reggie is rowdy but never mean to her. I feel like the extra weight helps her to endure his excitability.

Reggie will be a year old on April 16th. Like I mentioned above, I've already made and cancelled three appointments to have him neutered. Thinking back upon it., I think all three appointments were made when he did something extremely dangerous. All of our neighbors have dogs, and it's like you said above, I think his desire to run away, is mainly an expression of his desire to go and play with other dogs. There is a doberman right up the street. When I walk Reggie, it acts like it wants to eat us up. Reggie pulls so hard on the leash, wagging his tail non-stop, trying to play with this doberman that wants to savage him. He has no clue that other dogs could hurt him. He completely misinterprets their demeanor. I almost feel like it would do him good to get a good bite in the butt to teach him a lesson that not all other dogs are friendly.