When to do the first clip?

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Bootmarch2020
First Name: Jeremy

When to do the first clip?

Post by Bootmarch2020 »

We have Boot, a wonderful mini Schnauzer. She is just 10 weeks old but already a fur ball. We have hand trimmed her paws and some of the fur around her eyes and ears to aid her vision and comfort but I am wondering how old she should be before the first clip. We are brushing everyday which she loves and is very comfortable being handled. its still a bit chilly in the UK so happy to wait a while yet but wondered if this is purely a question of choice or if we should wait a recommended period before the first clip. She is a family pet and not for showing so not looking for expert grooming - just keeping her tidy and comfortable.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: When to do the first clip?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Welcome Jeremy and hello to little Boot. She is gorgeous. It's really up to you and personal preference really. When I got Otto at 8 weeks, his breeder had clipped his head, ears and bottom to get him used to clippers. With Oscar my first, I didn't clip him until he was 4 months old but like you kept him tidy with scissors, I should have started earlier, he was very wriggly. It is good to get her used to the sound and feel of the clippers though as soon as possible.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
roganjosh
First Name: Alan

Post by roganjosh »

Just got Pippa, a black & silver girl aged 8 weeks 4 days. She is my second MS following the passing of Abby (10yr) in February. I always used to have my dog groomer clip (not strip) Abby very short as we are in a rural area with lots of mud to bathe in. I think the clip is called the 'Kennel cut' or somesuch, though I could be wrong. Either way it was less than half an inch (1.25 cm) all over except for the head and tail, though it was left a bit longer in Winter.

The thing is that I can't remember whether that clip was given to Abby in one fell swoop or made gradually shorter. I also cannot remember at what age she was first clipped except that it was pretty early on. My groomer also cannot remember and suggested asking advice on this forum. So, given Pippa's age (8w4d), when can the first clip happen and can we go short immediately? If it's better to do it in stages can you recommend a short schedule with blade sizes which I can pass onto my groomer? I'd estimate her hair to be currently around an inch (2.5 cm). Thanks.
Albert
First Name: Albert

Post by Albert »

Congratulations on your new mini Schnauzer, Boot! It's great to hear that you're taking good care of her and ensuring her comfort. When it comes to the first clip, it's generally recommended to wait until the puppy is around 4 to 6 months old. By this time, their coat will have grown enough to be styled and trimmed. However, it's always best to consult with a professional groomer or your veterinarian for specific guidance based on your puppy's individual needs and coat growth. They can assess Boot's coat condition and provide tailored advice on when it's appropriate for her first grooming session. In the meantime, continue with regular brushing to keep her coat clean, tangle-free, and comfortable.

Gold Whatsapp
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

You could take her for a puppy tidy up so she just gets used to going to the groomer before a full clip. They normally give them a bath then clip bum, cheeks and chest just to get them used to the clippers and the whole experience.

As for the full clip I'd say that depends on how quick her coat is growing and how much combing/grooming you are doing. If shes regularly getting combed through so theres no mats then shes not going to need to go as soon. In summer months theres no reason why she cant go straight to the length you want. Cant help with blades I've always stripped never clipped the body.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"