Info on breed

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Jess0895
First Name: Jess

Info on breed

Post by Jess0895 » 06 May 2020, 16:49

Hi everyone. I am an experienced dog owner however I’ve never had a schnauzer....I will hoping to have a pup once the virus situation is over. We lost our 13 year old dog earlier this year.
I just have a few questions regarding their breed/personalities.

1. Are schnauzers good with other pets?

2. How often do you get your schnauzer groomed?

3. What makes their breed different to others?

Any tips and advice is greatly reccomend. We’re doing plenty of research for when we welcome our pup to the family

Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Info on breed

Post by Dawnspell » 07 May 2020, 09:59

Hi and Welcome

Im not going to be much help.

1, We dont have any other pets but the 2 schnauzers we've had have both loved other dogs. We're not cat people so happy for them to chase cats out of the garden to discourage them from leaving smelly piles :ymsick:

2, I've self groomed both dogs. Learned from forum, youtube, internet, trail and error :D I hand strip which is a weekly job and I clip cheeks and bum every 2-3 weeks. I think the normal if you are having full clip at groomers is every 6-8 weeks. Read up on whether you want to hand strip or clip.

3, I've never owned a different breed but from family that have golden retrievers and border collies, schnauzers have a different mind set. Goldies and borders were bred to please humans, mini schnauzers were bred to think independently. They were bred to be the alert dogs (among other tasks) on farms deciding whether a threat needed the german shepherds waking up or the humans. Hence the reason they will bark at anything if not trained what you want them to bark at. You "ask" a schnauzer to do something, not "tell" then they decide if they want to, you can see the cogs turning :)) Personally I think this is a trait that gives them the most character, they are really funny.

They love being with their humans and love to be involved and help out with everything. Most reputable breeders would not allow one to go to a home where owners are at work full time as they can suffer from separation anxiety.

What breeds have you owned before ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"

GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo » 07 May 2020, 12:08

Hi Jess

We have only ever had our boy, Monty. He's now 16 months old and we love him to bits.

1. We have a cat who is very timid and she was 5 when we brought Monty home. They have never really hit it off and generally keep out of one another's way. We would have loved to have the idyllic harmonious cat and dog house, but sadly it didn't happen. However, I know a couple of mini schnauzer owner neighbours who have the opposite experience.

2. Like Alison, we also self groom. We clip rather than hand strip. We invested in some professional clippers and Monty gets a full groom once a month, with bottom and face trims in between as necessary. Monty does need brushing every day, which we enjoy, otherwise he will get mats.

3. As we have only had Monty, I can't say how the breed is different. However, Monty is an independent little soul when out on walks. He loves other dogs, relishes a run in the park and is a happy boy. When at home, he will come for cuddles and readily sleep on my lap. He'll nose boop when he wants an ear scratch and will flip onto his back for a belly rub. We have not had him neutered as he has never humped and is not aggressive at all. He's relatively quiet (unusual for a mini schnauzer I think) and will only bark at the postie, the Dyson or men with beards?!?!

Monty does have a sensitive tum which we found out early on, but with a high quality grain free diet, he is thriving.

I work from home so I am with Monty most of the day. He's ok left on his own for a couple of hours once or twice a week when we need to pop out (we have a little camera to keep an eye on him) but we like taking him with us wherever possible. Our extended family adore him. He really is part of our family. He thinks he's a little human, assumes we are the lodgers in his house and has severe 'fear of missing out' syndrome!

We also did lots of research prior to choosing a pup and found that a mini schnauzer was ideal for us :)

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 07 May 2020, 12:36

Welcome to the Forum Jess :)

Miniature schnauzers are friendly sociable little dogs that love to be part of the family and don't like to be left alone for long periods. They are often vocal - that is they bark! It shouldn't be constant but they are from breeds that were watchdogs and they will let you know if they think the home territory is being invaded by any person, cat, bird or other creature. They are intelligent little dogs and can do well at training and agility but, as mentioned above, they are bred from breeds that would "think for themselves" and not wait for human direction as with pastoral or gun dog breeds so need a different style of training.

If the introductions are carried out carefully there should be no reason why they should not get on with a range of other species. We have had mini schnauzers living happily with cats, hens, guinea pigs and reptiles. Although the mini schnauzer can have a strong prey drive where small furry creatures and birds are concerned, they do seem to distinguish between animals / birds that are part of the family and accepted as such, in contrast with the same creatures outside the home which are fair game to chase, bark at or even (with birds, mice etc.) kill.

Do research as much as you can about the breed, browse some of the topics here on the Forum and, absolutely vital, do look for the best possible breeder of your puppy (whatever the breed) and get to know them, their dogs and how they raise their puppies before committing to buy. Finding the right breeder before they have pups allows you the chance to get to know more about each other and for you to feel confident this is the right environment from which to get your new companion.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/

schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer » 08 May 2020, 22:39

Hi & welcome

We don’t have any other pets .. my boy is 3yrs old I’m sure he would chase a cat if there was one in his garden but when we have been visiting & stayed over he has accepted our friends cat in their house though we did keep our eye on him it was as if he accepted it in their house.

My boy gets groomed every 6 weeks as his coat grows so quick with my last girl she was groomed every 8 weeks but I do like them to look good.

A great breed they don’t cast & good if you suffer from allergies, my first schnauzer was a girl lost her in 2017 she made us laugh every day as they have super characters just had to have another & got a boy who is super, so friendly was easily housetrained, I just love the breed as they are all different in their own way, my boy is affectionate & very friendly
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 -

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl

https://www.dogfriendlybritain.co.uk/wetnosesociety

Jess0895
First Name: Jess

Post by Jess0895 » 08 May 2020, 23:07

Thank you so much for the advice and information...I’ve had a collie before and a jack Russel cross, sje was a wild one at times, had her own mind of elf of the lead, would chase her for hours....were very excited to have a schnauzer, a family member is a top breeder who shows at Crufts so I’ll be having one from them as they are responsible and I know their dogs are well looked after.

I shall be researching on grooming more, I have seen some fluffier looking schnauzers and quite like that look, I know they don’t look like a typical schnauzer but I personally like that a little more (please don’t be offended I know some love the typical show schnauzer look)...I need to look into what stripping is as I’ve never heard of it but I’ll be doing all the research we can

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 » 09 May 2020, 09:42

Good to know you have someone in the family who breeds schnauzers. If they show their dogs they should be able to give you all the information you need about hand stripping as all show dogs are stripped. When we got our first pet mini schnauzer from a breeder who showed her dogs, she would groom our girl every 6/8 weeks but then showed my partner how to do this and since then we have all our dogs home groomed. It is great to be able to do it yourself for sure :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/