Hello everyone

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
AFriendlyHooman
First Name: Stefan

Hello everyone

Post by AFriendlyHooman » 16 May 2020, 22:26

Hello everyone!
I have become a pet owner for the first time in my life 3 weeks ago, when my dad and I managed to get my mom on board for buying a pet. Since we live in a flat (and dont have a backyard), we figured a mini schnauzer would be perfect as they dont shed. So we asked around a lot and finally found a guy selling mini schnauzer with a pretty decent family history (I dont know what its called on English). The only small-ish issue was that he was near being 6 months old, so we were worried if he was going to be able to learn everything.
Anyway, we bought him and did a potty training the way our friends told us to do it and it was quite successful (only took us 4 days). We managed to teach him to sleep in a beed we got for him next to my bed as well. These gave us hope that we will be able to teach him commands easily. I read many posts and watched many videos on how to do it and many of them gave different information, but we sticked to following whatever we found logical. But, our lovely little dog started being a little troublesome (distracted way to easily/started chewing on clothes/shoes etc.), so we did what any fellow first time pet owner would and visited internet. There I find a reliable-looking site that said that it would be best if they start their training when they hit the 8 or 12 weeks mark and that their training is pretty easy. So Im worried that we are a bit late for his training. Therefore, I joined this forum to ask many of mini schnauzer owners for your opinions and tips on what we should do and how to behave around him.
Nevertheless, in my 18 years we have never been happier after we got a dog. I love him and try to be the best owner I can be, but Im inexperienced, so I could be making some mistakes. I believe its worth mentioning that I am a very patient person (especially with my dog) and if anyone of you tells me 'Dont worry just wait 17 years he will be fine after that' ill be happy to do just that.
Thanks for reading and any help would be very much appreciated.

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hello everyone

Post by zeta1454 » 17 May 2020, 12:55

Hello Stefan and welcome to the Forum :)

Your new puppy looks lovely and he will be full of mischief just now as he is going through his adolescence and, like human teenagers, he will not always be ready to follow instructions or concentrate on things you want him to do.

Adolescence is a phase and he will pass through this as he matures and will be more likely to respond to training then. However, don't give up on the training you are doing. Although puppies do learn faster when they are much younger, they can learn at any age but it may just take more time and patience. Try to keep training sessions short and rewarding to encourage him to concentrate but do several very short sessions every day.

Chewing is something all dog families find hard to stop in their puppy and really the best thing is to provide plenty of safe chew toys / raw bones / antler chews/ Yak sticks etc....anything that he can enjoy chewing safely instead of your clothes and shoes. I have put a couple of links to websites of two of these products that our dogs enjoy but you can buy these from many outlets online as well as many other similar chew items for dogs:

https://yakers.co.uk

https://antos.co.uk/product/antler-medium-76-150g/

Using a clicker for training can also help. We re-homed a dog at 2 years old who had not had much in the way of training and in the beginning she was startled by the clicker and we did not think it would work but she became really responsive to it quite quickly and it was very successful. There is a link here but there are many other sites and videos on the internet re clicker training if you have a look:

https://www.thesprucepets.com/clicker-t ... py-2805068

Enjoy life with your new companion..the most important thing is love and care and building trust and a bond with your dog. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes even experienced dog owners so don't worry about trying to get everything "right" and do follow your instincts too. There is plenty of bad advice on the internet as well as good and you have to go with what makes sense and feels right for you and your dog to be happy :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/