Puppy Grooming.

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Puppy Grooming.

Post by RoseHunter »

Hello,

In about a month now I'll hopefully be bringing home a standard schnuazer puppy (Pepper and Salt, female) who will be called Leyna. I have hand striped dogs before, although these were my aunts and she taught me on a wheaton terrier since I was curious at the time and wanted to learn. Anyway enough waffling, what I am unsure about is what coat pattern means and when and how to start with a puppy.

My dog won't be a show dog however, I do like wire coats on the dogs since I live somewhere that's a bit colder and rainy keeping their weather proof coat would be better. Also there aren't any groomers near me that hand strip dogs either.

So if anyone can offer advice on what coat pattern means as I was more informally taught and also when and how to start with a pup I'd really appreciate it.
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Puppy Grooming.

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi and welcome to the forum, coat pattern simply means the area of the dog which is stripped or clipped or scissored. There are some great diagrams on the internet that clearly show what you do and where you do it for a "breed standard" groom. Take a look at this website, it is really informative on the pattern, clipping and stripping and do come back, we love to talk all things schnauzers here. http://britmorschnauzers.com/groom.html. There are also some brilliant videos available on the internet. The important thing with a pup is to start straight away carding the coat to remove the fluff and encourage wire to start coming through. PS I am assuming that your standard's parents had coats that were good for stripping as not all coats are as they remain very soft even when adult. Good to check with the breeder first.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Re: Puppy Grooming.

Post by RoseHunter »

Yep, both the parents have good coats for stripping, the breeder is a good distance from where I live so I wouldn't really be able to ask his help with them. (5 hour drive one way).
As for carding the coat I do have a coat king rake (looked up the right one for shcnauzers) as my aunt uses one for her lakelands who have wire coats.