Updates on Leyna and a few more questions

The Standard Schnauzer is a working or utility dog and is the original breed of the three sizes. Standard Schnauzers are generally a robust, squarely built, medium-sized dog with aristocratic bearings.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
RoseHunter
Puppy
First Name: Sh

Updates on Leyna and a few more questions

Post by RoseHunter »

I know, I ask a lot of questions, I have done my research on the breed don't get me wrong but I still feel hearing from those who have owned a standard or currently own a standard is always where the best information is.

Leyna is the newest addition to the family, the breeder said she was the quietest of her litter but also had the best schnauzer coat amongst her litter maters he wasn't kidding the other four were much fluffier than her, she has a LOT of texture in her coat, reminds me a little of a border terrier). She seems quite laid back and chilled, she's slowly being introduced to our other pets bit by bit.

Also I know schnauzer are clever but she's doing really well (Learning recall, sit and 'in we go') and we've already found a treat she adores. Funnily enough they're treats our previous dog a Jack Russell terrier loved too so we still had some. Broke them up so they were a bit smaller and she likes them a lot.
The breeder also thinks she'll end up a light silver like the mother since you can see the silver patches in amongst her dark puppy coat. Her tail in particular is half silver, half black. She also has the owl eyes markings too and well she has captured the attention of the neighbours very quickly.

Personality wise she is already showing some of that schnauzer stubbornness, but she loves to sniff everything, I grow strawberries and she just had to give them a good sniff earlier today. Doesn't care about the weather at all, she goes out to the potty in the wind, rain, sun so far. But she is more laid back than the others in her litter, she is settling in well, having eaten her meals and drinking plenty of water. She also seems to get where to go potty but she's still so young. However, her little brain is always ticking away and you can see it just by looking at her.

A few questions I do have though are:
- Bedtime, she whines a lot like expected but is there anything that can be done to make this easier for her? or any tips in general.
- Recommend any good chew toys for puppies, I have a few but any more recommendations would be great as well.
- More out of curiosity, but anything any of you think would be the best to teach her young apart from what I call 'Basic Doggy Manners'?

These are what my family always teach dogs in the family.
Basic Doggy Manners:
- Sit, Stay/Wait, Leave it, Lie Down
- No jumping up at people when they enter
- Walking nicely on the lead
- No biting
- Sit and Wait for meals
- Other pets are to be left alone, they are not toys
RoseHunter
Puppy

Re: Updates on Leyna and a few more questions

Post by RoseHunter »

She just got her first vet visit, clean bill of health and first puppy vaccines.
I am curious as to what is a good weight for a standard schnauzer puppy though, they said she's a healthy puppy, behaved really well and has clearly been handled a lot since she's fine with teeth, paw and ear checking without much fuss for a pup.
Once home she was back to playing and started implementing a sit before she gets her meals since it's another small training opportunity. She succeeded as well which I was suprised about.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I've not really had a dog who likes chew toys even though I've bought them. Jasper especially likes to chew though. I buy bulk from zooplus a range of pizzles, calf hooves, beef lung, lamb tendons, chicken feet, chicken necks, beef scalp, rabbit ears (he likes them with fur on best), tripe. All of which are dried some lasting a lot longer than others, and some smellier than others :))

Brain games we do are putting treats into empty 2L plastic bottles so they have to knock them around to get them out. Treats in egg boxes or in an empty box with paper packaging. In Jaspers case this gets messy as he rips all the paper. The knock around treat dispensing toys. I do have kongs to stuff and the calf hooves can be stuffed but Jasper has never really liked the idea of those.

One "training" game is "swaps". Both dogs have been tissue thieves. Rather than them running off with them as valued treasure to rip up and eat we play swaps so a tasty treat is offered in return for tissue. This then transfers to anything they have that you dont want them to have as a swap. It also means they take it one step further and bring prezzies of bits of paper and stuff for treats :))

Cant help with the weight but I would just keep doing a rib check. Feel the sides of her body if you can easily feel her ribs under a covering of flesh (not tin ribs) the shes fine. If it feels a bit too fleshy then shes probably got a bit too much weight. I wouldnt worry too much while shes a pup though they do go through phases of being chunky and having growth spurts.

You're lucky with the sniff of strawberries, Barney used to eat mine before I could :)) Fortunately Jasper isnt keen he prefers veggies
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
RoseHunter
Puppy

Post by RoseHunter »

She has to sniff everything! Curious little monster, will teach the swap game since that sounds like a good idea. She's quite curious but isn't too mouthy surprisingly.

It is good she likes the garden though, means she can potter around with me and since we had a dog before, only dog friendly plants are around. She also loves to sniff the roses I grow.
They really did adore her at the vets, booked her next appointment for the second vaccines and they're looking forward to seeing her. You can also see she's going to be a ver light silver as patches of her are already turning and almost white silver colour so she's going to be absolutely gorgeous when older. Her mother also had pure white/cream furnishings so hoping she gets those as well.

I'll keep you all updated but she's a little sweetie, considering she's only 8 weeks there's plenty of time for the mischief to come in.
Vikki
First Name: Vikki

Post by Vikki »

Leyna sounds lovely