Shaggy coat with stripping (??)

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
fruitphilosopher
Puppy
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Malik
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 0-10-2020

Shaggy coat with stripping (??)

Post by fruitphilosopher »

Hi all! I'm a new member, I actually don't have a schnauzer yet BUT I'm very excited to get one (a mini) soon, as evidenced by my dedication to reading every topic in this forum :))

My question is - how to keep a schnauzer shaggy/longer coated if I opt for hand stripping rather than clipping? I think I'd really like to hand strip the future pup to encourage a more weather-proof coat. I live in an extremely hot and sunny but also very rainy area and I've gathered from this forum that a stripped coat is more protective against the sun and also more waterproof. I'd also like to preserve the colour. However, I like the shaggier look and (when weather isn't unbearably hot) I'd like to have a shaggier schnauzer. Is this something that can be achieved with stripping? Perhaps stripping less often and carding in-between? I'm not sure if not stripping for a period of time would discourage the top coat or be otherwise unwise.

Thank you to all the wonderfully helpful and kind people on this forum! :-h
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Shaggy coat with stripping (??)

Post by Oscar 12345 »

Hi Jan, you can opt for a longer stripped look. I strip the dead hair every couple of weeks so it does tend to be longer than most who might strip weekly but stripping monthly for example and carding weekly will give a longer coat. Not sure you ever get a shaggy look though as a stripped coat is straight and smart. You might change your mind when you see how a schnauzer copes with hot weather as in my experience they don't do very well but they do love the cold weather. Here's a photo with Otto just been stripped so this is the shortest it gets.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

This was Jaspers coat back in April. His jacket was a couple of inches long, the longest its been. Its almost shaggy but he has a very harsh coat without hardly any undercoat so it lays flat anyway.
This is July and its about inch and a half.

Jasper is the opposite to Otto he copes better with hot weather than cold, maybe its to do with coat colour :-\
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
fruitphilosopher
Puppy
First Name: Jan
Dog #1: Malik
Born: 0-10-2020

Post by fruitphilosopher »

Thank you both, very helpful info! And gorgeous dogs. I see what you both mean about it not being "shaggy" per se, I probably chose the wrong word, but I like that bit of length on Jasper. And I'll definitely reassess when I see how my dog does with the weather! I just wanted to know if it's theoretically doable.