Oxtail

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Oxtail

Post by Dawnspell »

Has anyone fed raw oxtail to minis?

My son works part time at Waitrose and brings Jasper the occasional treat from the butchery. Last week was calves liver which he wouldnt eat raw it had to be dehydrated =))

This week he brought home oxtail. Its not one long piece but cut into the individual bone segments about 1.5 to 2 inch in length. i dont know how crunchable they are for dog jaws to break them up or if theyre a bit small that he could choke. Anybody know ?
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Oxtail

Post by zeta1454 »

I would be a bit wary of giving smallish chunks of bone to a mini schnauzer if ours are anything to go by as there is a risk of them being swallowed whole and causing choking. We did have a scare some time ago with a small raw chicken wing which Magic swallowed whole - no ill effects and she did not choke but frightened me enough not to give her anything that small again. I would think that the ox tail could be crunched up by an adult mini as their jaws are strong but it is whether they will crunch it or try to swallow it that would worry me. I think with many dogs it can be better for them to have a large bone to gnaw at unless you are confident they are not likely to try and take it all in one go.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

The choking was my worry. I've come up with a solution. I got my ratchet loppers out and cut the larger sections in half then cut across each section 2 or 3 times. He can still have a good chew and gnaw but none of the pieces are choke size. He really likes it they've got quite a bit of meat on too.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Post by Oscar 12345 »

That sounds better Alison. Otto is a swallower, couldn't trust him with bite size chunks.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Valentin01
Puppy
First Name: Lucey

Post by Valentin01 »

I gave mine oxtail once and they swallowed part of the bone quite big and both were sick.
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

An update we've had no problems by chopping it up. He's since been treated to 1kg of fresh salmon last week and lamb scrag end slices this week. He's a bit spoilt :D
Our first family dog