Hand Stripping Courses?

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
steffv
First Name: Stephanie

Hand Stripping Courses?

Post by steffv »

Hello Lovely People,
I am wondering if you know of anywhere reputable that runs a good course to teach me how to hand strip a Mini please? I have no grooming experience but would love to learn how to groom my own dog. I currently have a white mini pup Lottie who is 11 weeks old so I am keen to learn soon!!
I am based in Kent, but would be happy to travel to learn :)
Many thanks, Steff
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Hand Stripping Courses?

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I don't know of any courses in your area, don't know if there are any anymore, not so many groomers are doing hand stripping anymore except for show dogs because it would be a huge job at once. But I'll say your best bet is to ask the breeder or someone who grooms show dogs.

Having said that, I learned to roll the coat here with instruction from the great members here. Here is my thread for reference
viewtopic.php?t=25105

I also got help watching YouTube videos. This is a long one, but a classic and really helpful. I still find myself referencing to it periodically.
https://youtu.be/0dN93mPero8
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

There are several of us on the forum who have never had a lesson in hand stripping but have learnt it all from the internet and other forum members. There will be loads more threads on the forum just do a search and ask any questions.

I cant see your pups coat but I've heard some whites have softer coats and are harder to get into a good wire coat than some of the other colours. I have to say this is not my experience of whites both of mine have been stripped and have good coats.

Does your pups breeder strip ? I know I got lots of tips from Jaspers breeder as she shows and judges schnauzers.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
steffv
First Name: Stephanie

Post by steffv »

Thanks so much - she does have quite a hard top coat and her breeder does strip I believe. It would be great to learn for sure, but I might try and get her hand stripped by a professional first and then learn how to keep her coat maintained between grooms before I move onto doing it all myself!!
Now to trying to find a good groomer locally - I'll put up a post and see what I can find by way of recommendations!