My 13 yo mini had her first seizure. Need advice

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Duchessnme
First Name: May

My 13 yo mini had her first seizure. Need advice

Post by Duchessnme »

Hello everyone! I’m new to this forum. My name is May and I’m a dog mom to a spanky 13 yo miniature schnauzer named Duchess :) She recently had her first seizure almost a week ago. This is a new experience for me as a dog mom. I am hoping to get some feedback from people who had similar situation. Duchess is currently taking Phenobarbital on a high dose. She’s only be on it for 5 days. I wasn’t prepared to experience the horrible side effects (ataxia, sedation, depression , lethargy etc) of the medication. It really hurts me seeing her like this. They say that the side effects should subside in 7-10 days. I wish it would come soon enough. I would really appreciate if you share some feedback. It will definitely help to ease my worry on Duchess
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: My 13 yo mini had her first seizure. Need advice

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello May and welcome to the Forum.

I am so sorry to read about your Duchess and that she has been suffering such bad reactions to the medication. I cannot speak from experience as we have not had a dog suffer a seizure but, reading online, I am surprised that the vets have prescribed high dose Phenobarbital after a single episode as this is from the VCA Animal hospital website:

“ How are seizures treated or prevented?

Treatment is usually begun only after a pet has:
1) more than one seizure a month,
2) clusters of seizures where one seizure is immediately followed by another, or
3) grand mal seizures that are severe or prolonged in duration.

The link to the full article on their website is here:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... l-for-dogs

Did the vet run all the relevant tests to establish the cause of the seizure? In senior dogs, seizures can be caused by liver or kidney issues or a brain tumour as well as being triggered, as with dogs of any age, by exposure to toxins; high stress; certain pharmaceutical treatments e.g. spot-on flea treatments and many other possible causes. If the cause is established, it may be that an alternative to the heavy duty medication would be more appropriate.
There is some more information on other causes on this link:

https://www.greatpetcare.com/dog-health ... -seizures/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
schnauzerfan

Re: My 13 yo mini had her first seizure. Need advice

Post by schnauzerfan »

Sorry about the seizure and sorry to be late to the conversation.
I had a re-homed ex breeding bitch. I was somewhat open mouthed with her 1st seizure. I suppose she had between 6 and 8 over time.
We went to Davies . I turned down an MRI but the report mentioned her high triglycerides might be implicated (sorry, I’m sitting on the sofa watching the Ukraine war). Lexi (as my previous 2 minis had hyperlipedemia - high triglycerides so special food).
I subsequently had a behaviourist because Lexi had issues. The behaviourist mentioned stress causing excess adrenaline and if there was a close series of events, this could cause seizures.
My observation was that this was the likely cause.
My vet gave me diazepam to put up Lexi’s bum if the out-of-it paddling continued longer than 3 minutes and I also had trazadone for trying to head off stressful events.
As with humans the seizures tended to be early morning. Sometimes after vomiting. Paddling. Disorientation. Distress. The vet told me to be hands off and just ensure no harm happened but we are talking about at least 5-6 hours all together.