Starting to groom/clip my puppy

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Starting to groom/clip my puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Hi everyone,

My mini pup is 11 weeks today and I'm wondering when I should start to clip or trim her. I have been combing her coat regularly. I used to clip my last mini myself, but I didn't have her from a puppy. I have an Andis dual speed mains clipper with a 7 and 10 blade. I was thinking of getting a cordless one, are these heavier than mains? Does anyone have any advice on when to start, clippers and blades, etc? All tips or advice most gratefully received.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Starting to groom/clip my puppy

Post by Dawnspell »

I only clip cheeks, chest, bum and underbelly rest is stripped. I've got Moser Arco cordless. They are a lot quieter than the main ones I had although they were cheap mains ones so probably noisier than more expensive ones. I like the convenience of cordless, I tend to do clipping outside with him standing on the wall, no mess to clear up =)) With the mains ones I had to take a table out or get an extension cable etc if I clipped outside or clean up inside. They are just easier to handle without the cord especially doing the face and lighter to hold since you dont have the cable dangling.

I'd be starting now getting her used to the sound etc of the clippers with out actually doing anything to her.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thank you Alison, I'm definitely going to look into getting cordless clippers.

If there is anyone reading this who does clip rather than strip, would you start off with a 7 blade or is this too drastic for a first clip, should I use a blade which leaves the hair longer? I would love to hear your opinions!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

I'd start with longer hair, its a first clip so you may end up with a few wriggle bald patches :)) It is grooming training to start with for you and puppy even if youve groomed before each dog is different. You can always go shorter but can glue it back on if its too short.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I used to get my pups clippered at the groomers. I'm not sure which blades she used, but I agree for the 1st cut, I'd look at more getting the pup used to the process then a real haircut. So I would also keep it clippered longer.

I had to mention my S&P Snoop looked like a totally different dog after his 1st cut. It was a bit of a shock tbh! He was a fluffy black pup and changed to grey and silver in a couple hours. It was almost funny! I think it would less of an ordeal for the pup too if she wasn't clippered too short to start.
Sandie1
Puppy

Post by Sandie1 »

Thanks for the feedback. I'm wondering whether to just use an attachment comb on my blade to leave the hair longer, does anyone have any thoughts on this? I think the one I have cuts to 7 16ths of an inch, is this still a bit short?