When to move to two meals per day?

BARF refers to Biologically Appropriate Raw food or Bones and Raw Food. It is where owners have decided to feed their Schnauzer a natural diet of raw meat, bones, and organs. If you are considering this for your Schnauzer, you will find lots of handy tips here.
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

When to move to two meals per day?

Post by Sandie1 »

Iris is six months now, I've been feeding Nutriment raw over three meals per day. Should I now move to twice per day and slightly increase amounts in the morning and evening?
Thanking you in advance.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: When to move to two meals per day?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Rachel,
Dogs do vary in how well they adjust to two larger meals from three a day but usually it should be fine to make the change between 6-9 months.
Do increase the amount in each meal at first so that you are not reducing the total quantity. Depending on how much you currently feed Iris you may find that you eventually reduce the amount a little as she matures and settles to a maintenance quantity. 2 of our adult schnauzers (aged 10 and 8 years old are having 100g raw (not Nutriment though) twice a day but the eldest, Magic who will be 12 this year has 75g twice a day as she is slighter build and does gain weight easily. As a comparison, our two little affenpinscher puppies who are only 5 months old are polishing off 3 meals of 70g + a time as they are still growing.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sandie1
Puppy
First Name: Rachel

Re: When to move to two meals per day?

Post by Sandie1 »

Thanks Leigh, I'll do it gradually.