any thing to consider when getting 2nd schnauzer?

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
phildog22
First Name: steve

any thing to consider when getting 2nd schnauzer?

Post by phildog22 »

Hi friends!
I am new to the site and am happy to have found it.

I am just about ready to decide on my 2nd miniature schnauzer and was wondering what things I should consider or what issues arise if any from having a 2nd miniature schnauzer ? My first one is a 2 year old boy. I would appreciate any helpful information as I want to make sure it will be a good fit for both baby dogs.

thank you in advance

Steve
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: any thing to consider when getting 2nd schnauzer?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Steve and welcome to the Forum :)

Most dogs will accept a new puppy into the family with no problem at all. Make sure that you find the best breeder you can for your new addition who raises self confident sociable puppies with good health and temperament- there are plenty of topics to guide you in the Puppy Care and Breeding sections of the Forum.

You need to be careful not to take too much attention from your 2 year old dog when the puppy arrives and have plenty of ‘safe spaces’ where he can escape if he needs to when the puppy gets too boisterous and nippy. If your current dog can meet the puppy before you collect him that would be great but may depend on the breeder. When the day comes to collect the puppy, you could take your dog with you so both travel back in the car or, if you are going to have them meet at your home, then just supervise the initial meeting closely - preferably have the introduction outside in your garden where there is more space and have a playpen prepared indoors where your puppy can rest and your dog can see and smell him without direct contact until you are happy that the two get on well.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
mikegoodson1
First Name: Mike
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 17 Oct 2015
Dog #2: Sasha
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 23 Sep 2017

Re: any thing to consider when getting 2nd schnauzer?

Post by mikegoodson1 »

Hi Steve

We introduced a 2nd Mini Schnauzer into our home when Oscar was two and everything pretty much went well to be honest. As Leigh said, you need to ensure you still give your first pooch the same love and attention they previously received but that is easier said than done, I found it emotionally tough. I'm obviously a softy so was torn between giving my boy his usual attention etc then making sure our new puppy was spoiled too...but you get there. We introduced a female puppy into our household, Oscar was already neutered by then, so that made life easier.

I think the general consensus is that introducing another dog of the opposite sex may be less confrontational than a same sex dog. Saying that, there are probably plenty of people who may say it's fine to introduce another dog of the same sex - so I guess that's your call :) Obviously that all goes out of the window when going from 2 to 3 or 4 or 5 :D

We don't regret it at all. It get's more expensive obviously with insurance/food/vet bills etc and going out and about can be a little more work with two than just one but I would say....do it :ymhug: You will not regret it.

Mike