Change to diet

Need help or advice on feeding your Schnauzer, whether it be kibble or treats, you'll find the information here. There is food reviews, recipes, remedies for poorly tummies and a wealth of feeding knowledge from your fellow Schnauzer owner. We cover BARF in a separate section.
leahandharry+
First Name: Leah

Change to diet

Post by leahandharry+ »

Hello,
I have a 5.5 month old miniature schnauzer who has been having Iam's puppy (had from weening with the breeder) and Wainrights wet sachets of chicken. He has recently had an upset stomach due to a reaction to a wormer but this has continued and I now want to explore his diet.
He prefers wet feed, but will eat kibble moist. I was told previously that wet should be fed at 1/3 and kibble at 2/3.
But would love recommendations on the right wet food to feed as 2/3 and kibble to feed at 1/3 as I want to switch from such processed feeds.
Raw is not an option.
Thank you!
Leah and Harry!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Change to diet

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and welcome.
I'm not sure about the 1/3 wet and 2/3 kibble sounds a bit old wives tale to me. Maybe thats going back to when people fed wet proteins with mixer biscuits. If you are feeding a complete food then you can feed 100% wet if you want to.

Iams isnt really a good food but Wainrights grain free trays are much better quality. Jasper is very fussy doesnt really like wet food tinned, trays or raw but will occasionally eat Naturo grain free tinned if you want a starting point for better quality wet food. If you like the idea of raw but dont want the actual "raw" food then you could try Pure dog food. Its air dried raw and comes like a dry powder and you add water to whatever consistency you like.

Have a look through allaboutdogfood.co.uk there are filters to narrow down the choices but they are all rated.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"