Sores on ear that open after swimming in ocean

Suffering from a bee sting, runny tummy, cut into the nail quick or had a little mishap around the house, then you can find some friendly advice here on how to deal with life's little accidents and help your dog recover quickly or calm them down, so you can get them to the vet. If in any doubt about an illness or injury, please contact your vet as soon as possible.
Forum rules
All the information provided in the First Aid section is gathered from the collective experience of our members and is provided for information purposes only. The advice contained within this section is not a substitute for professional veterinary advice, care, diagnosis or treatment. Each dog is different and may react differently to the recommended first aid advice. If you suspect your pet has a medical condition, you should consult your vet as soon as possible. You use this First Aid advice entirely at your own risk. If in doubt, speak to your Vet.
nickybee
First Name: Nick

Sores on ear that open after swimming in ocean

Post by nickybee »

Trying to help mum with her Standard Schnauzer - Max.
He LOVES to swim in the ocean - in fact he'll happily jump in on his own when we are swimming, swim over to us - even if it's 20 meters or so, turn out swim back - and then jump in again etc etc.

But - there's an odd sore on both of his ears that has been recurring over the last few years and no one seems to know what it is - so I thought I'd ask for some collective wisdom.

here's Max swimming with Mum

Here's the RIGHT EAR - with the sore dried over (This is the sore from last year) - as soon as he's out of the ocean for 10-15 days it dries up and never reopens (until the following year

Here's the LEFT EAR - with the clearly visible oozing sore

He doesn't appear to be in pain - but it's just so strange. Local vet seems to have no idea - just seems so odd that it always recurs in the same place and only after he swims. I guess it's possible he vigorously shakes the ear flap apart - but it seems very strange - why would it not heal up fully over 9 months?

Anyone got any thoughts? Mum (and Max) would both appreciate it.

Here's an older video of me taking Max into the outdoor shower - https://www.instagram.com/p/BWioQv1ANDu/

Thanks for the help

Nick
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Sores on ear that open after swimming in ocean

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum, Nick :)

I can’t offer any explanation of the cause for the ear sores and the vet should be the best person to diagnose a health condition. However, if this is confined to when Max goes swimming in the sea, maybe it would be worth looking at some kind of ear protection as it is a worry if the skin is broken and vulnerable to infection.

I have never used these and don’t know how accepting a dog would be to wear one but there are a couple of links here which may be of interest:

https://www.aquabandit.co.uk/

https://www.dogleggs.com/swim-snood/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
nickybee
First Name: Nick

Post by nickybee »

Thanks for the suggestion (and the welcome) - it's an interesting thought.

Hard to tell from just reading the description's of the products but I can't imagine they would keep the ear flap entirely dry...though maybe they would...

Anyone else on here tried them?

Even if they didn't keep it bone dry - they would definitely preventing him from shaking his ears around violently when drying himself (which can't do wonders for the sore)

The thing that bothers me about the vet's opinions there - is that now a second vet has essentially said - oh yeah just disinfect it and keep it out the water a few days.

Duh.

1. He likes to go in the water because it's hot ;)
2. Keeping him out of the water always fixes it temporarily but doesn't get the root cause of the problem - because after he swims once or twice it opens up again

Anyone know of any good vets that might do a remote consultation?

Nick
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Just a thought if it only happens under wet conditions maybe its fungal that stays dormant on the hair. The shaking and the skin being softer when wet leaves it vulnerable to a flare up. I wonder if daily application of something like colloidal silver, or leucilin for a few weeks will help along with washing with anti fungal/bacterial soap. The problem with fungal, if thats what it is, is it can take weeks of treatment. May not be anything like that but just a thought.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"