Worried about nose hair and bangs for vision - 6 months old girl

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
kaplan
Puppy
First Name: Kaan

Worried about nose hair and bangs for vision - 6 months old girl

Post by kaplan »

Hi everyone,

Our veterinarian suggested letting the nose hair grow to prevent eye issues when they are cut, she's expecting them to droop

I've read old posts on this topic, I guess it's a common issue and veterans suggested letting the nose hair grow down as well

What are your suggestions for her, and what do you do with bangs? She really doesn't like headbands - but even if I temporarily put the bangs up, the nose hair gets in her eye sight as well

She doesn't complain and no issues day to day, yet sometimes she can't even notice a cat standing 15cm's ahead of her :)
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Worried about nose hair and bangs for vision - 6 months old girl

Post by Dawnspell »

Yes, the weight does pull it down eventually, dont let a groomer shave down the bridge of the nose. Having said that theres a it of grooming you can do to help in the meantime. There should be a "diamond" of hair trimmed between the eyes, slightly down the nose and up a little bit above the eye line. You shouldnt need to tie that bit up once its trimmed. I have some old photos which may help although excuse the dirty dog :)) and he doesnt really like his photo being taken :D

In this one can you see the diamond shape I was trying to achieve, I hadnt finished as I had to keep doing bits as he was also very wriggly at that age:)) The bit down the bridge of the nose should have been a bit more defined and those sprigs cut off near the eye, but hopefully you get the idea.

The side view shows how you trim near the corner of the eye and up towards where the eyebrow is, so it doesnt grow up in front of the eye.

Dogs tend to see with their nose more than their eyes, their colour vision isnt as good as ours. We tend to think it limits their vision because we visualize them seeing the world like we do but they dont, their nose is far more important for assessing the world around them.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Re: Worried about nose hair and bangs for vision - 6 months old girl

Post by Schnauzerluv »

You could try combing the hair down too to help it weigh down. I use a deshedding comb with sharp edges to cut through mats and remove old dead hair. It really helps it to lie flatter on my boy Ozzy.

It was a pain to let the hair grow out, but agree worth it to not have spikes in the eye.