Help with allergies from puppy please!

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Debs2022
First Name: Deborah

Help with allergies from puppy please!

Post by Debs2022 »

We have a 9 week old mini schnauzer and unfortunately my daughter (19) seems to be having allergic reactions to him! Her eczema has flared up and her eyes and face have puffed up a few times this week. We have had a schnauzer before and she was fine and we also have 2 cats. I’ve been looking at air purifiers but there’s so many at different prices, it’s a real minefield! Has anyone used one successfully or if you have any other tips on how to combat the problem I’d really appreciate it. Thanks x
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Help with allergies from puppy please!

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Deborah :)

I cannot help from experience but there are a few links here that may give you some pointers as to how to manage this. A couple of the links suggest air purifiers which can help with pet dander and the first one is a general guide to trying to reduce allergic reactions in people to dogs in the home with some additional suggestions at the end.

https://vet.osu.edu/sites/vet.osu.edu/f ... %20dog.pdf

https://healthy-house.co.uk/allergy-blo ... allergies/

https://www.bestproductsreviews.co.uk/a ... LQQAvD_BwE

However I would also consider just how serious an issue this is going to be over the coming years as, if it really is a troubling problem for your daughter (does she live with you?) sad though it may seem, it could be better to let your puppy’s breeder know and return her. Although this should be a very last option, you don’t want to let the puppy become settled with your family and then decide it is not working out. It is a very difficult situation and I do feel for you in the circumstances.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Debs2022

Post by Debs2022 »

Thanks very much. I’ll have a good read through! X
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

I'll tell you I'm very allergic to schnauzer puppy hair too! It usually is fine (or much better) once they get their adult coat or they mature a bit and oil glands develop better. We just brought a puppy home a month ago and my allergies went crazy. I've had to take a few allergy pills, but also I was trying taking bovine colostrum and I feel it is helping a bit. Also my puppy had dandruff before we switched her food pretty bad and I think that made it really bad so I got some Burts Bees dander control spray which is oatmeal and aloe vera and I think it really helped.

I have allergies to furry animals and the doctor suggested things like not sleeping with puppy in my room, not doing the grooming and things like that when we got our 1st schnauzer.
Debs2022

Post by Debs2022 »

Thanks! I’m thinking of switchin* food too but it’s a minefield as to which one !! I’ve bought an air purifier & anti allergy sprays etc and it seems to be helping a little so fingers crossed it improves as puppy gets older! X
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

The breeder had her on Royal Canin kibble which is total garbage IMO. I'm sure it contributed to her dry skin issues. She is still on a kibble, but we switched to Acana healthy grains puppy. A switch might not be needed if she is eating a healthy diet, especially if she has no itchy dry skin issues.

Since I wrote that above, I started moisturizing her skin with a tiny bit of sweet almond oil and I liked the results (seemed to curb her itching too). I don't have to use it anymore really but it's a great hair moisturizer.

The colostrum is a supplement taken orally. Not sure if it actually helps, but definitely seems to.