Large age gap between dogs

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Ddgreen360+
First Name: Diane

Large age gap between dogs

Post by Ddgreen360+ »

Hi all .. new member here

We currently have Bree she is 9 years old and and a week we pick up Stanley who will be 9 weeks old
Excited but also apprehensive because of the age gap ,not sure how Bree will react. We have read posts and researched bringing a new pup home but most don’t have the large age gap between dogs … I have to say most people say its a positive for the older dog but wanted to see if anybody has got the same or similar age gap and how they have managed to get on together
Thanks Diane
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Large age gap between dogs

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Diane and welcome to the Forum :)

We did bring an 8 week old puppy into our family 15 years ago now when we had three older miniature schnauzers (12 years, 11 years and 7 years old). They were all fine with the puppy but the strongest bond was with the 7 year old, also a male as was the puppy. The 2 of them were soon best buddies and it was a joy to see them play together. I know your Bree is 9 and not 7 but I would say that generally older dogs are absolutely fine with a puppy and as you mention from others saying that it can encourage playfulness and a ‘new lease of life’ in the older one.

Do allow Bree her own space and routines as before and make sure she always has somewhere safe to go to get away if she wants to when Stanley is being boisterous as all puppies are at some times but I am sure it will work out OK.

Good luck and do let us hear how things go when Stanley joins your family and it would be lovely to see photos of him and of Bree ❤️
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Ddgreen360+
First Name: Diane

Re: Large age gap between dogs

Post by Ddgreen360+ »

Thankyou so much I think we just need reassurance that all will be okay .. Bree is such a precious lady to us , we have purchased a crate not sure if will use it and also a puppy pen to allow bree and Stanley space to chill out away from each other
We will be conscious of keeping Brees routine as normal as possible and fingers crossed they will become friends 👍