Hard time calming down

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Moppfy
First Name: Simon

Hard time calming down

Post by Moppfy »

Hey, i have a GS soon turning 7 months old.
Hes a Big stuborn baby😂 but our problems is that he is soooo food obsessed, he is constantly Looking for food. We cant have a single meal in peace without him trying to steal some. Ive tried to be very consistent og having him on his spot while we eat, but he ends up trying over and over. If i then go to redirect him he can end up getting pretty wild and try to chew on my arm. But he is not aggressive, he just wants it his way.

On our walks he is constantly sniffing around to find something he can put in his mouth and eat, that be food or trash. He eats anything he gets his eyes on.

Im just scared he might be making a habit out og this, and that its gonna be hard to do something about later.

Hes very hard in general to calm down and very rarely lay down to relax, he relax when he Knows he have to wait for his food to be ready. Since we feed him wet kibble. We have gotten him a slow feeder to help him slow down a little. But when he is Done Eating, he is back on his task to find something to eat.

Do anybody have any tips? Is this something he might outgrow once he stops growing so much? And What to do when he starts biting on our arms or anything else when he wants it his way. Ive tried giving him toys but he loose interest and starts doing everything hes not allowed to😁

Thanks
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hard time calming down

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum Simon :)

Hopefully someone with experience of Giant Schnauzers will be able to offer some specific advice on the breed but much of what you describe is just typical puppy behaviour which can be more alarming in a large breed dog.

All puppies start out trying to eat everything they come across - this is totally normal behaviour and in some dogs it does continue into adulthood too. Dogs have always been scavengers and although domestic dogs don’t need to scavenge it is a ‘hard wired’ behaviour that is almost impossible to train out. You will just need to manage this to try and keep your boy from access to anything that might harm him. As dogs have always been scavengers, most will actually cope just fine with eating all sorts of things we might think are not ideal! However they will usually digest it without issues or throw up / poo anything that doesn’t agree with them.

As regards your puppy trying to get at your food at mealtimes, you must keep him away from the table at these times. Either have your puppy in a different room or in a crate or playpen or sectioned off part of your dining area so he cannot get near the table. You will need to persevere with this and be absolutely consistent so he learns that when you are eating, he settles down with a chew toy or something similar but does not have access to the room until you have finished your meal and it is cleared away. Don’t ever give table scraps or leftovers from the meal at this time or he will expect to be fed on your food if you or anyone else in the family do this.

Always offer your puppy something to engage with whenever you want him to settle down and do this regularly through the day so he learns a routine of settling e.g. at every one of your meals and not just before his own but you must make sure he is separate from where you are and not able to access the table.

A lot of work with raising a puppy is managing the situation so that he does not have the opportunity to do something you don’t want but also being really consistent with this so he understands what you want him to do. 7 months is very young for a puppy and especially a giant breed dog and he is still trying to learn about the world and his place in your family. Giant schnauzers can be challenging as they are a working breed but they can be fun and rewarding companions and worth putting in the extra effort to keep them happy.

As well as walks, you could try setting up challenges for him such as treat hunts or offering specific dog puzzle toys as well as plenty of natural chew items to help him settle and relax:

https://www.nina-ottosson.com/

https://poochesatplay.com/training-beha ... -for-dogs/

https://www.jrpetproducts.com/search?ty ... AEQAvD_BwE
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

Hello Moppfy. Interesting reading your thread and seeking words of wisdom. I must admit, when reading your thread, it was leaving a smile on my face as well as laughing. Sorry no offence intended but reminded me of happy days!

First thing I will say, Giant Schnauzers puppies are very active, bundles of energy and always looking for something to do. It is in their nature I'm afraid. As for looking for food, best way of putting it and in to context, so does any human child too.

My best advice especially when you wishing to have your own food in peace, put your dog in his / her pen while you are doing so. Any other way until he / she gets older and knows not too, you are asking for a problem or two. Zeta in her reply has already suggested what to do in her third paragraph. Good advice too.

As for going on walks, it is their nature to constantly sniff around / nibbling at stuff, they are very good hunting dogs after all and what they were initially known for. So asking to stop your dog from sniffing around, I doubt you will be able to stop him / her. However with suitable behaviour training in due course, it will improve obviously but you will not able to ultimately stop them, again it is their nature. To give you an idea on what good hunting dogs they are, see my thread about 'Albert' the training police dog along with the linked video's too, you then realise what fantastic dogs they are with the right training but using the strengths of the breed too (see: viewtopic.php?t=25746).

When we had our Hugo especially as a baby / teenager, he was just a bundle of mischief and unless you kept him occupied, he would always find something to do, no matter what that may be. Another way of putting it, when he went quiet, we knew then he was upto something. Mostly had found something to chew on whether it was food, electric cables (not connected), had a kettle, a toaster, in fact anything that was accessible even from the back of a kitchen worktop. Remember, their back legs are like springs and their front legs are giant scoops!! He even found away of opening the fridge door too along with chewing away the magnetic seal too! Yes frustration but very funny too. :)) Again they are very active / intelligent / inquisitive dogs, need to be kept occupied, plenty of exercise (in moderation while they are growing up) and also you need to be one step ahead of them all the time - in other words try to out think them. Good luck with the latter! :)) Giant Schnauzers even when they are two / three years old, they are still teenagers and they will do what teenagers do!

However, with time, lots of patience, and consistent training, the positives / rewards far out weigh any negatives that is for sure. The love, the joy, the fun and laughter from a Giant Schnauzer is something you get very rarely from a human being. (God, we truly miss Hugo still :( )

Hopefully the above gives you hope and encouragement but also gives an insight what to expect too. Take care please. :)
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
Moppfy
First Name: Simon

Post by Moppfy »

Thanks for the replies😁 Ive started to put him in his crate when Eating and when i feel he is getting a little overtired. Also been trying to train on some focus and eyecontact. Which works great indoors but he is a huge mess outside on walks. Pulling towards every little interesting thing, dog or person. And no way to get his focus, maybe i need to get some better treats, but dont think Thats the issue. We have had a giant before and he was not nearly as difficult as this one😂 Big goof balls

In terms of activities that will keep him occupied. Do you have any suggestions? He Only really Stay busy if he gets like a bone or a filled kong, but that dont last long with this guy😅 he looses interest very quick unless its food. He never settles for a nap even on days with alot of stimulation. I sometimes have to hold him until he fall asleep, especially at bed times. Where he usually goes crazy in the bed, biting pillows, blankets and even my arms when i try to take it away from him. Not in a aggressive way, tail wiggles the whole time😂 But Thats probably my fault for giving him this luxuary too early.

He is very good boy when i can get his focus and he is motivated. But i guess that comes more and more the older he gets.

Thanks alot guys
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Do you freeze the the bones and stuffed kongs? Try giving him these in his crate as you may find he will settle and sleep when he's finished. Lick mats are also good if he's not likely to chew the mat.

Set up a sniffari, hiding bits of food around so he has to find it or scatter feeding outside just throw food so he has to use his nose to find it. Sniffing has a calming effect on dogs so this is is good way to use his brain and tire him out.

If he's doing well giving you focus in the house then just try and up the difficulty a little bit by trying the same in the garden. Once he's got that in the garden then up the difficulty again. Think baby steps. The focus comes with him practicing it and won't just happen as he gets older he needs guidance to achieve it.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"