MAC Hereditary Clear vs Clear confusion

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Renerogers
First Name: Rene

MAC Hereditary Clear vs Clear confusion

Post by Renerogers »

Hello! I’m new here and in the process of researching to welcome a Miniature Schnauzer into my family home.
I’m a little confused with the difference between the MAC test results I have seen on the KC health test results pages for the dogs I am looking at. Some are listed as Hereditary Clear and others as Clear.
Please would someone be able to explain the difference to me?
Thanks so much. X
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: MAC Hereditary Clear vs Clear confusion

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Rene and welcome to the Forum :)

If a dog is DNA tested and does not carry the gene for MAC it will be listed as ‘clear’. This means it is neither affected nor a ‘carrier’ of the gene for MAC. If a ‘clear’ dog is mated with a ‘clear’ bitch then their offspring will be automatically listed as ‘hereditary clear’ since neither of their parents carry the gene. The puppies of such a mating would not need to have a DNA test themselves.

However, if one or both of the parents were a ‘carrier’, even though not themselves affected by the disease, the puppies would require a DNA test to confirm their status.

There are more details re MAC testing on the Miniature Schnauzer Club website:

https://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/documen ... July17.pdf
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Renerogers
First Name: Rene

Re: MAC Hereditary Clear vs Clear confusion

Post by Renerogers »

Hi Zeta! Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info that is all clear and really comprehensive. I really appreciate your help xxx