When enough is enough?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
linux
Puppy
First Name: Linda
Dog #1: Linux
Born: 26 Jul 2011

When enough is enough?

Post by linux »

Our miniature schnauzer is 11 and a half ears old. He was never very active or playful dog, but we always thought this was just the way he is. Old soul in the puppy body. He was never very affectionate or cuddly, but always loyal to us, always followed us around the house and never allowed anybody ese to pet him.
Last 6-8 months he was more and more sad, quiet. Slept more and more, reduced playing time, reduced time being with us. Instead, he preferred to go to his crate to sleep. he is sleeping most of the day. But still loves his walks 3 times a day. Plying maybe 5 min a day on the good days.
He suffered from allergic most of his life and had always problems with his ears.
A couple of years ago, he got ear hematoma due to his scratching and has been operated. It went fine. This Christmas he got hematoma on the second ear. During visit to veterinarian clinic, we got a shocked message – his heart is weak, and his general condition is bad and doctor meant it’s time to finish his life. We were devasted and in shock – we just came to treat his ear and left with a terrible advice. Next day we changed clinics to get a second opinion. Our dog got extra tests and his ear was operated the same day.
It was long healing process, but now his ear is OK. New clinic put him on the diet food because of his allergies. He is also on heart medication. He does not tolerate any kind of meat (he loves it but getting stomach problems afterwards). He refuses eating dry food he got because of his allergies. The only option right now is cooked fish.
But! We see that he is not getting better. He is sleeping all time, want to be alone more and more. We do not see direct signs that he is in pain, just tired all the time and sleepy. He is drinking OK but eating less and less. Since the end of December, he lost 2 kg.
He is our heart, our son and for us it is extremely painful and heart-breaking to see him this way.
Is it a natural way for a dog to get old?
What should we do? Should we just let him be as he is and just sleep all the time?
Should we begin thinking about ending his life?
Its so devastating.
I never cried so much in my life as this last month. I just do not know what to do.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: When enough is enough?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Linda - I do feel for you in your situation with Linux as it is one of the most difficult and heart-wrenching decisions to contemplate whether to let a dog pass peacefully or hold on in the hope that they may recover their joy in life.

As dogs age, they will often sleep more and be less active on walks and play. That is nothing to worry about and just adjust your routine to their needs. However, the weight loss is quite considerable and, unless Linux was overweight before, I would be concerned about that. I would speak to a vet you trust and ask about this. It could be due to a health issue or could be related to the heart medication - lethargy and loss of appetite are known side effects of certain pharmaceuticals and, if it is that, maybe a reduced dose or change of medication would help.

If Linux is still enjoying three walks a day and playing every so often then I would say that sounds fine for an older dog, especially if he is showing no signs of pain but do check with a vet about the weight loss and lack of appetite which don’t sound usual. Our older dogs may have lost a very little weight but nothing as significant as 2 kg and they have all had a very good appetite. Of course, if Linux is only having cooked fish, he may not be getting the calories and other nutrients he needs and this may have contributed to his weight loss. If there is no other choice of food but fish, I would see if you can find a natural supplement that may have extra nutrients to boost Linux’s health. This is an example although there will be other similar ones:

https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/yucare ... WYQAvD_BwE

We have a 12 year old dog (affenpinscher) who was diagnosed on a routine check up as having a heart condition but, in her case, she had never shown any sign of a problem and we decided to delay using any pharmaceutical treatment for her until / unless she showed she was not well. I do give her a natural heart support supplement however and she is doing fine over a year on from the diagnosis:

https://oceansalive.co.uk/products/hear ... 7dba&_ss=r

I know that many people with dogs suffering heart conditions who are on medication do use supplements as well so even if Linux needs medication from the vet he may also benefit from additional supplements with his food to make sure he is not missing out on essential nutrients.

Once you have some feedback from the vet that there is no other health issue with Linux it may be easier to make a decision to keep him going and just know he is going to be less active. However, if there are other problems e.g. with his kidneys or liver then it may be time to prepare to let him go. It is never easy and the grief is devastating whenever and however a dog leaves us. Rarely do dogs just pass peacefully in their sleep however much we might hope that and, if they are suffering pain, loss of interest in life etc. it can be much the kinder to them to let them pass peacefully with veterinary help. You do need to feel certain though when the time is right so do have a discussion with a vet you can trust and spend time thinking over any diagnosis or advice they give you before making a decision. I do hope that you have more years ahead with Linux - take care :ymhug:
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
linux
Puppy
First Name: Linda
Dog #1: Linux
Born: 26 Jul 2011

Post by linux »

thank you for your feedback. Linux does not have any kidney or live problem. or at least he did not have any side effects which made veterinarian to check it
heart medicine he is getting is Fortekor Plus and I see that side effect is tiredness. so, it might be explanation.
thank you for the links.
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Post by HugoBrum »

First I really do feel for you, it is a horrible situation to be in that is for sure as ultimately what is best for your loved one, in this instance Linux that all that matters. However, I would offer not any advice other to see what the vets suggest / advise and go from there. In lots of way's it is you only option that you have got to make decisions in the best interest of your dog. The most important thing, is as long he is in no pain, still enjoys your company and short walks then take it day by day. It is and I state the obvious thing as you know already - it is all about quality of life. Every member on here could offer advice, words of wisdom but ultimately it is your decision on what you may think the best option will be. You have our sincere good wishes, as well as thinking of you and Linux.

(I and my good lady do speak from heart breaking experience, we did fill up many many buckets of tears believe me and even now we still do, it is still hard but you know what, we know we done all we could for Hugo knowing we made the correct decisions no matter hard they were and ultimately he went to Rainbow Bridge because we could not see him suffer no more, he is at peace. See this thread for further details and may be in something in the various messages that may help you - viewtopic.php?t=25275).
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis