Moving on and hello 'Nina'?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
HugoBrum
First Name: Doug
Dog #1: Hugo
is a: Black Giant Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2017
Dog #2: Nina
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 29 Nov 2019

Moving on and hello 'Nina'?

Post by HugoBrum »

Some members on here may be aware of our sad circumstances when we (my wife and I) lost our four year old Giant schnauzer 'Hugo' to bone cancer in May 2021 (see: viewtopic.php?t=25275) and since then we have found it extremely hard to get over the lost of 'Hugo', so much so, we resisted the temptation of getting another dog. It has been hard.

Anyway, we both retired in December 2021 and at that time our thoughts were very much on our daughter who had a serious stroke, so naturally our energies were headed in that direction. Thankfully, our daughter has made a 90% recovery and returned to her role as a teacher in September last year, no mean feat although still not has full use of her right hand, hopefully time and patience that will improve. After September, some normality returned for us and finally began our retirement. Although we never ruled out getting another dog, we were constantly questioning whether we could go through getting another dog with the fear of 'cancer' raising its head again. As time went on over that last few months, wife and I had various discussions about may be getting another dog, along with making general enquiries elsewhere, we concluded we needed to fill a void in our lives, sort of a purpose again!

That 'void' happen to be a dog we concluded but neither of us wanted to go through puppy training again, just too much for us as we are not getting any younger. We find trying to keep up with our 4 year old grand daughter is enough of a lovely challenge! :D As part of the 'general enquiries' some one suggested an older dog, may be a two / three year GS bitch who has one or two litters and now looking for a fireside home? This seem a sensible solution and we know we certainly could offer a good welcoming home.

Over the last two / three weeks, we made the decision to go the latter option and by good fortune, a three year old GS bitch became available after having one litter (three pups) and now has been spayed too which is ideal. Anyway, we went to see her last Saturday, her name is 'Nina' and she was very calm, lovely and friendly, just seemed ideal. The breeders had said she been living with them indoors and is a little lonely but already 'trained' in some aspects, re toilet training, sleeping habits and some commands too although this needs expanding a little. So we have now made the commitment to take 'Nina' and hopefully collect her in a couple of weeks once we 'clear' our existing home / family commitments to allow us to fully focus on 'Nina'. We do realise for 'Nina' this will be a bit of an upheaval for her but plenty with time, patience and consideration, I am sure we will get there.

So there you have it but we will update again when we collect 'Nina' and post some images too. This does not mean we think any less of 'Hugo' or our emotions have changed, they have not as he was a special dog. 'Nina' we know is different not just for the obvious reason but it means there is no chance of making comparisons, like 'male' with 'male etc. We cannot wait now but it has taken a lot to get to this stage. :) :)
Nina But never forget Hugo.
My owners are Doug and Glynis
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Moving on and hello 'Nina'?

Post by zeta1454 »

Great news that you will have another GS in your life. No dog is ever a ‘replacement’ for one that has passed nor is having another dog join your family mean that your grieving for Hugo is any the less. The love and care you gave to Hugo will help ‘Nina’ flourish and I am sure she will enjoy many wonderful years with you both and bring you joy as well.

Look forward to hearing more when she joins your family and seeing the photos too :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

So pleased to hear this for you and for Nina. We still think about Barney who we lost at 6 years old to kidney failure, it would have been his birthday yesterday. We do compare Barney and Jasper but its normally "Barney would never have done that" =))

Looking forward to hearing about your new adventures.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

Congrats you found Nina! She sounds so sweet and needs a family, sometimes the stars all align and it just makes sense. You will meet Nina and learn all about her, a whole new adventure as they all have their own personalities. The tools you acquire caring for Hugo will assist you with Nina.

My profile pic is my forever heart dog Chelsea, we now begin our adventure with Ozzy and Lily. We will never forget our Snoop and Chelsea, it's just a second chapter. Hugo will forever remain in your hearts the same promise.

I can't wait to meet Nina vicariously and hear all about her!
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

Thank you for your replies and your caring thoughts too. Yes 'Hugo' will never never be forgotten, just no chance of that happening. Currently, we have provisionally agreed to collect Nina a week on Saturday and have already registered her with our Vets. They will be obtaining her medical records from their Vets as permission to get them has been given but I am sure things will be fine, then we will get animal insurance in place. In the meantime between now and then, just need to get our house sorted in readiness for her. Thank you again. 🙂
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Hi yes, I remember your Hugo, they leave an enormous gap when you lose them, but I'm so pleased to hear that you are having Nina, love the name, Nina will never replace Hugo but will sure help to heal your pain, though mine has never gone since I lost my Suzi in April 2017. Know how I felt ..... absolutely heartbroken, but her groomer (an ex-breeder & Judge of the breed) told me about a litter that was due, she introduced me to the breeder who put me down for a girl !!, but when the pups were born there was only one girl & she was keeping her, so it was an easier decision to have another as I took a boy, I was given first choice from 5 boys so it wasn't easy but I sure chose the best as I have a super boy, who's definitely a Mum's boy. I also got to choose his KC name & chose Siglette Shadow as I wanted him to be my Shadow & he sure is. I swear he knew just how much I needed him to ease the pain. He's a super boy will never replace Suzi but he's given me something to live for again as they are a super breed.
Enjoy your adventures with Nina I certainly look forward to hearing all about her.
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

Thank you 'Schnauzer' for your kind words and thoughts. Clearly you have found a way through your lost and reignited the flame once again.

Anyway an update and 'Nina' finally arrived home yesterday after a 90 minute car journey. 'Nina' is currently seeking lots of attention and very slowly settling in to her new environment, had a good night's sleep and has eaten her food too. Today, she has taken a small extra steps with understanding the command to sit (and rewarded) and also taken her on her lead for a short walk around our cul-de-sac (won't go further until she get her second vaccine late this week), so far so good but we are sure as she gains more re-assurance and confidence, she will come more out of her shell. However, initially she seems to be a placid girl and as yet not heard her voice once. Regardless, we have plenty of time and patience but really is nice to have her home now. Let us hope she is a long and happy life. :)

Here are a couple of images of 'Nina' . Image. Image
Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

Just look at the gorgeous big black gum drop nose :x Looking forward to hearing about her progress.
Our first family dog
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

What a sweet girl ❤ She has lovely eyes. So nice she is now home with you. Let your beautiful journey begin.
HugoBrum

Re:Hello 'Nina' - update

Post by HugoBrum »

Time for a little update. It is seven weeks on Saturday, since we collected Nina and how that has flown. Nina has settled in very well indeed, in fact better than expected and she has certainly made herself at home.

She is very loving to say the least and is always seeking attention which she gets 'most' of the time. It took six days before we heard her bark for the first time! She has been getting out for walks since beginning of March after she had her second vaccines and generally speaking has been good. However, we think being with the breeder, we are not sure she has really mixed with other people and other dogs, so there has been some 'issues' like barking at some people and dogs.The strange thing although getting better, there is no consistency of which people and dogs she will pay attention too, it seems to vary (and probably being protective too) but again it is improving, so that is a positive step.

When walking, she is unlike 'Hugo' as she does not sniff around but still don't wish to walk in a straight line though! :)) 'Command' wise is getting better, certainly 'sit' is the easiest one for sure. Nina for sure lets us know if someone is around or nearby our home with the 'bark'. I doubt any one will come near the house hearing that 'bark' which is a good thing as Hugo was more the opposite. Strangely not knowing what to expect, there are some small differences between male and female GS's with respect to behaviour especially not being boisterous, certainly more quiet /reserved but there remains definitive Giant Schnauzer straits for sure regardless of sex! :)

All in all a good start and we know for sure we made the right decision in getting Nina, as she is definitely part of the family now.

An image taken recently.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Glad that things are going well :)

Lovely photo 😍

HugoBrum

Post by HugoBrum »

It has been a while since an update, actually over 6 months considering we only got Nina in late February. As it happens, it is Nina's fourth birthday next week and it will be nice to celebrate her birthday for the first time.

Well, what am I able to say other than Nina has settled in very well indeed, better than we ever hoped but all down to having time and patience with her and we have got our rewards. Over the last few months, we have done some training with her including some 'reactive' training (may be it has us who has been trained) and benefits of that has been positive to say the least especially with other dogs. She was fine with people including 'little' people but ever that has improved and she is very good with our five year old grand-daughter!

My wife and I only take Nina out for a walk occasionally as our youngest son who is at home, takes her out almost daily anyway and Nina just loves him! We had taken Nina to a 'dog field' handful of times and she was fine but again we noted due to her upbringing with the breeder, she really did not know how to run or knew she could but slowly the penny is beginning to drop. Nina had her first hair / coat cut a month ago and looks the better for it but we had to leave that long in order for some of her previous 'uneven' cut to catch up as such. Her next cut is due in February next year.

As for Nina's personality, mmmm typical GS in some ways, in other ways very good indeed, certainly no toasters, food, fridge seals being damaged which was a trait of Hugo, our previous GS. Nina is exceptionally very loving, always seeking a stroke, cuddle or two and best of all happy to sit with you on the sofa, that is when she decides you cannot watch the TV as she has got to be in front of you, in other words a big 'black' TV instead!! Nina is so good, that we have dispense with her 'pen', she don't need it even when we go out for a two /three hours, she is exceptionally very good and we arrived home, she is looking out of the front window. To be honest, this has been the biggest bonus, that we can trust her to behave and she is happy to rest / sleep on the sofa. Toilet wise, she just goes to the patio door to let us know she needs to do the business.

The best way to describe our short time with her, as if she has been with us since she was a puppy rather than almost nine months, she is definitely part of the family and it was without a doubt the right decision to get her after the sad passing of our 'character' GS, Hugo. Anyway, here is a couple of image's of Nina taken recently, one before her haircut, the other afterwards.

Image Image
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Good to hear how well she is doing and the photos are lovely - the sleeping giant is a great image ❤️

Dawnspell

Post by Dawnspell »

She look very content :x
Our first family dog