Giant Shnauzer Leaking Urine

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
manpete
First Name: MANDY

Giant Shnauzer Leaking Urine

Post by manpete »

Hello,

We have an 11-month-old Giant Schnauzer, a few months back I noticed one night while she was sleeping on our bed, she peed, completely asleep. Didn't think much about it until it happened again a few days later, but this time she was just lying on the floor and started leaking urine. Unaware to her she was doing it. After this happened several more times, I took her to the vet, they took a x-ray to look for bladder stones, she was good there, took a urine sample and said she had a very resistant bug, so they put her on antibiotics for 14 days. They wanted to retest her before she was done with the antibiotics, so I took a urine sample up to them. Awaiting the results, but it is still happening. This is not normal in a young dog, and with it still going on, I don't think the antibiotics are the key.
Has anyone else experienced this in their giant? Any help or advise on what we need to do next. The vet did say if the antibiotics don't work, we will go to step 2 which I am not sure what that is just yet.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Giant Shnauzer Leaking Urine

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Mandy and welcome to the Forum :)

Although I do not have Giant Schnauzers, I have read that the breed are vulnerable to a condition called PRIMARY SPHINCTER MECHANISM INCOMPETENCE (PSMI) which does cause involuntary peeing as you describe. In many bitches urinary incontinence is related to spaying especially if carried out when the dog is young but in a small number of breeds which includes the Giant Schnauzer this can happen even if they are not spayed. This is from the article I have linked to below:

PSMI may occur in any breed of dog or in mixed breed dogs but some breeds are over-represented including the Doberman pinscher, Giant Schnauzer….”

I have put a link here for you which is a vet article on the subject including potential treatments:

https://www.vetfolio.com/learn/article/ ... ur-options

And also this article from a U.K. animal charity:

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-help-and-ad ... mi-in-dogs
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
manpete
First Name: MANDY

Re: Giant Shnauzer Leaking Urine

Post by manpete »

Hello,
Thank you for providing the articles to read. This is kind of the resolution we had come up with also, so I really appreciate your feedback!