Standard and Giant mix ?

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Ficopd
First Name: Pat

Standard and Giant mix ?

Post by Ficopd »

It is an honor to be a new member of this forum, along with you fine people. Looking to be a first time dog owner and add a new addition to the family. The number one criteria in choosing what kind of dog was that it must be a low/no shedding dog. I found that the Schnauzer was the only farm or work dog in that category, the others being toy or lap dogs and hunting breeds. I feel the temperament and overall demeanor of the work dog category would best suit my home and my family. Now the choice came down between the giant schnauzer and the standard schnauzer. Right off the bat I realized the giant was just to large for my house, so the standard is the winner by default. Also I feel the original model is always the best. But that being said, I do like the idea of the giant schnauzer for home security, as my family is alone for many days at a time. I also live in the country with a large population of black bears and coyotes. The giant schnauzer would give me more peace of mind with both these concerns, but again it is just too large for my home. I wish the standard schnauzer we just a little bit bigger.
So my question is, is it possible or does it exist a mix of both the standard and giant schnauzer. I have done relentless internet searches and could not find a single word on the matter. It seems like the schnauzer, standard, giant and miniature are being bred with every other kind of dog under the sun, except for with each other. Is there a reason why this is not done. And if it is done would it result in a schnauzer that is in between the size of a standard and giant. And if it is being done, where can I find one. My curiosity on the matter has come to a boil and I eagerly await any information on this matter. Thank you and cheers.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Standard and Giant mix ?

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Pat and welcome to the Forum :)

This is a description of the standard schnauzer from the American Kennel Club website:

“The wirehaired dogs that would become the modern Standard Schnauzer performed many jobs for German families. They guarded the livestock, hunted vermin, and protected their owners as they went to and from the market. The Standard Schnauzer was the perfect size because he was small enough to fit in the farmer’s cart, but big enough to serve as a guard dog.

This breed is known for being an outstanding companion who’s completely devoted to their family members. They’re not necessarily “one person dogs,” instead they appreciate all of the members of their “pack.” The Standard Schnauzer is particularly good with children, as they’re extremely playful, yet tolerant. They also make for awesome watch dogs, ready to alert anyone of an intruder who might threaten their home or family.”

As you can see, the ‘guard’ and ‘protect’ temperament is in the original schnauzer breed make-up but you may need to discuss your needs in that respect with the breeder of any puppies you are considering as the best breeders will know the individual temperament of each puppy which may vary even within a litter as regards being out-going and likely to make a dog with a reliable strong protective instinct.

As regards your question about cross-breeding, nowadays all kinds of breeds are crossed by puppy farmers and backyard breeders for financial gain to supply a market for dogs with funny names. No reputable breeder will be crossing breeds randomly so I certainly wouldn’t be looking for anyone doing this. There is no way of knowing from a cross breed which genes will be transmitted to the offspring - it will be 50% from each parent but you cannot control which genes are passed on in this way. Breeding a larger size schnauzer, for example, with a small one is more likely to produce some small puppies and some large ones rather than medium sized.

If you have done the research and feel confident that the schnauzer is the dog for you and your family then I would look for the best breeders and discuss with them what you are looking for in terms of temperament and get on a waiting list for a standard schnauzer. Most dogs do have a loyal and protective instinct towards their family and are a deterrent to anyone who might have criminal intent or animals that may wander close to home or family. However, no dogs are going to be able to physically fight off a bear so you are looking for a dog to deter rather than fight and size is not always the biggest threat in those circumstances.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

There are dogs that arent always listed as low or non shedding because they need to be hand stripped. Wire haired pointers, airedale terriers, wire hair vizsla being examples which are in between size of giants and standards.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Ficopd
First Name: Pat

Post by Ficopd »

Thank you friends for the excellent feed back. So it sounds like if I decide to bring a schnauzer into the family the standard is well equipped to handle my families specific needs. It sound like a medium sized dog with a giant heart. That is good to know. And yes of course no dog can really fight off a bear, but it sounds like these tough characters have the courage to be an effective deterrent. That is all I would expect.
I did not know there were low shedding dogs that were not listed as hypoallergenic breeds. You have piqued my interest and I will give your recommendations deep consideration. But it seems like the Standard schnauzer is working its way into my heart. I guess my next step is to research and find a reputable breeder. This sounds like it will be a challenge in itself. Thank you again friends (two legged and four legged) for the wonderful advice.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

One other point. If you are wanting a dog for hypoallergenic reasons and not just wanting a dog that doesn't leave hair everywhere. Make sure you spend time with several examples of the breed. People can still have allergic reactions to hypoallergenic breeds. If you find a breed with no reactions make sure you spend time with the chosen breeders dogs also before buying a pup.

It also works the other way that people have no reaction to dogs known as non hypoallergenic breeds although not very often.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"