Hi Everyone

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
Sharky980
Puppy
First Name: Steve

Hi Everyone

Post by Sharky980 »

Hi everyone thank you for adding me.
It’s nice to see so many nice stories similar to my own,
I’ve recently lost my baby girl Molly she was 15 and 4 months when she passed 4 weeks ago. It’s been so hard without her but we try to focus on all the happy great times we had with her!.
We were thinking we would like to rehome or maybe have 2 Minis to spoil rotten(not at the same time maybe a year apart)but we need a bit of time first after Molly as it’s been hard.
Hello for now and look forward to chatting and sharing stories.
Here is a picture of Molly Moo

zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

So sorry to hear about your Molly passing. It is always devastating even when you know they have enjoyed a wonderful life. Molly was a good age and you must have so many special memories to treasure. In my experience the sense of loss never really goes away but you learn to live with the bereavement and that rush of grief that can overtake you every so often may still happen but you cope with it better over time.

Sending hugs and hope you can bring another mini schnauzer into your lives again one day - when you have known the amazing companionship of a loving dog it can also be hard to live without one ❤️
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Thank you

Yes definitely we will be having another probably 2 next time.
The joy and companionship they give us is second to none.
Molly came to work everyday with me and never left my side, I will never forget the treasured time I had with her and I know when we have another mini or 2(what am I letting myself in for)will be just as good and special.

Steve
Schnauzerluv
First Name: Kat
Dog #1: Ozzy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 30 Jul 2020
Dog #2: Lily
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 12 Aug 2022

Post by Schnauzerluv »

What a lovely girl Molly Moo ❤ It's nice that you have so many great memories, she will live forever in your heart that way. Your story touched me a bit, we devastatingly lost our girl Chelsea (in my avatar) in 2020, (honestly I'm tearing up still) but to make a story short, today we have a 2.5YO and 8 month old and it's the best thing we could have done. They do not replace Chelsea in any way, they are not even close to the same, I love my two with everything I have, but Chelsea still holds a special place in my heart. Like you, I had to take some time to process everything, but when you have enough love to give and the time is right, it will happen for you! Sending hugs and healing.
schnauzer
First Name: Christine
Dog #1: Suzi (RIP) 13/4/17
Born: 15 May 2004
Dog #2: Gino/Siglette Shadow
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 09 May 2017

Post by schnauzer »

Welcome to the forum, so sorry that you have lost your beautiful Molly, they do leave a huge gap when we lose them so heartbreaking know exactly how you will be feeling as I've been there too. Do hope that you will be able to have another as that will help to ease the pain, will never replace. I lost my precious girl in 2017 & it still hurts but thanks to her groomer I now have a lovely boy, he will never replace her, but I swear he knows just how much I needed him as he is definitely a Mum's boy, take care
Christine & Gino (Siglette Shadow (born 9/5/17 ---

Suzi (15/5/04---13/4/17) (Sugarbabe) RIP loved you to the moon & back, miss you so so much precious girl
Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Thank you everyone for your comments it’s been 5 weeks so still pretty raw, I have been looking on the kennel club website looking at breeders in the UK as I live in Robin Hood country in Nottinghamshire.
I understand I maybe need to contact breeders now due to waiting lists as we would like to have another this year to give just as good a life as we gave Molly
So I’m on the search.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Sharky980 wrote: 21 Apr 2023, 10:19 Thank you everyone for your comments it’s been 5 weeks so still pretty raw, I have been looking on the kennel club website looking at breeders in the UK as I live in Robin Hood country in Nottinghamshire.
I understand I maybe need to contact breeders now due to waiting lists as we would like to have another this year to give just as good a life as we gave Molly
So I’m on the search.
You are inevitably going to feel devastated and hurting from the loss of Molly but you are doing the right thing by looking ahead positively.

It’s always a good idea to allow plenty of time to plan for introducing a puppy anyway and finding the right breeder can take a while. Check the breeders listed on the Assured Breeder lists but always ask plenty of questions and try to get to meet them if possible before committing to getting a puppy. Many of the breeders will attend the shows through the summer and you will have the opportunity to see their dogs too.If you check out the Kennel Club database of shows you can find out which are in easy reach:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search/find-a-show/

You need to work through the filters but if you select ‘dog showing’ and fill in the dates and the breed it does bring up the list eventually! General and championship shows will attract a good number of schnauzer breeders as will the breed club events. If you are not already a member of a breed club, there are several in England which you can join:

http://www.theminiatureschnauzerclub.co.uk/

http://northernschnauzerclub.co.uk/

https://www.schnauzerclub.co.uk/

It is great if you can find a breeder not only that you trust to raise happy healthy pups but who will also be a friendly source of advice and information when you have your puppy. Good luck in your search.

Sharky980
Puppy

Post by Sharky980 »

Wow that’s fantastic I never thought about going to some shows and meeting breeders there and chatting with everyone.
I will have a look at those links and definitely get to a show!.
janet4090
First Name: Jane
Dog #1: Albus
is a: P/S Std Dog
Born: 16 Jan 2023

Post by janet4090 »

Hi Everyone. I’m new to Schnauzers. I have a 15 week old standard who is great but very bitey at the moment, particularly fond of my 10 year old! Please tell me it gets better? I have a couple of questions which I may find answers to if I search the forum but just wondered what people’s opinions were regarding hand stripping or clipping and feeding - raw/wet/dry. Is it just a case of which your dog prefers? There are obviously pros and cons for all but I’m just interested in what other people do, thanks, Jane.
zeta1454

Post by zeta1454 »

Hello Janet and welcome to the Forum :)

If you have a browse through the topics on the Front Page you will probably find plenty with information on puppy biting as well as feeding and grooming as they are all topics which come up many times. Puppy biting is definitely a phase and will ease in time naturally but do check out other posts re this for some tips on coping with this challenge.

Re grooming, it is to some extent up to you which you prefer to take on with your pup. Clipping will in time remove the naturally harsh top coat and, with a pepper and salt dog it will also mean that the jacket is likely to become monochrome that is simply grey either dark or light depending on your dog’s genes for coat colour and the colouring of his undercoat. The pepper and salt colour is from banded hairs which are removed by clipping. However, hand-stripping is a longer process which will retain the coat colour and texture but is costly if you have it done at a groomers. If you did decide to go down that route, you would probably be best learning to do it yourself which is quite possible if you have the time (either through being taught by your dog’s breeder or from online or DVD /video tuition).

Regarding feeding, there are always different views on this and it may depend on your own circumstances/ preference. Personally I recommend raw feeding as the most natural and appropriate diet for a dog. We have raw fed our dogs (currently 14 of them) for 16 years now and they have all thrived on it. We do buy raw meat /veg meals for dogs through a company - delivered frozen and defrosted for feeding - as this is the most convenient for us and gives reassurance that the meals have been prepared with nutritional balance in mind. The companies we buy from use high welfare meat and seasonal vegetables. There are nowadays in the U.K. many companies offering raw food for dogs and you are spoilt for choice compared with when we started feeding raw with our 4 dogs in 2007. However it is possible to DIY raw if you want to as long as you are able to provide the right mixture of nutrients in the food you offer your dog. I would definitely be wary of highly processed foods for dogs as these can lead to a range of health issues in dogs as with people from obesity to diabetes and pancreatitis.

The all about dog food website provides some good guides to the quality of different types and brands of dog food as well as a glossary explaining the meaning / benefits or otherwise of ingredients in dog food.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/