Sudden whining/howling at night

Need help using the forum. Then please ask here. We will be along shortly to give assistance about using the forum or questions about any of the features.
Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to ask questions about using the forum. Any specific issues relating to your dog can be raised in the appropriate section. All the advice will work on a desktop PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Unless specified, it has not been tested on tablets or smartphones.
Mitchy12
First Name: Julie

Sudden whining/howling at night

Post by Mitchy12 »

We have a miniature girl, almost two. She has been crate trained from the beginning with no issues. However, three times now, in the last week, she has woken us, not long after going to bed whining and howling. This is so not like her.

We have followed usual bed time routine of toilet before bed and a small treat once in her crate, after this she is usually brilliant and settles. The first episode of whining I went down and let her out thinking she may need the loo and she was hyper. If it was a human toddler you would thing they were on a sugar high. I let her out, she had zoomies round the garden came back and thankfully settled in her crate.
The second time I let her out thinking she may need to go out and again she was hyper. At 1am I ended up playing with her chasing her toy up and down the hallway!! At 2am we put her back and she settled.
We had the same thing last night. Her days are no different and we play with her often during the day.
Anyone any ideas?
We also have a giant schnauzer who is thankfully very laid back and stays in his crate probably wondering what his nutty sister is doing
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Sudden whining/howling at night

Post by Dawnspell »

Could be a new noise outside that you cant hear but she can. Our neighbours have just had scaffolding up with the plastic covering. Jasper kept lifting his head up the first few nights as he could hear new sounds. Thankfully he'd realised it was nothing to worry about before the gale force winds started and it really made a racket :))
You could try covering her crate to muffle sounds or put her in different room.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Mitchy12
First Name: Julie

Re: Sudden whining/howling at night

Post by Mitchy12 »

Thanks, I’ll try moving her crate tonight 🤞🏻 it works