Warts

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
Dillydally
Puppy
First Name: Carolyn
Dog #1: Bentley
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Warts

Post by Dillydally »

One of my dogs has developed quite a few warts on his body. He is 10 y/old, is this a common thing on older Schnauzers ?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Warts

Post by zeta1454 »

It is quite common for older dogs including schnauzers to develop warts and fatty lumps as they get older. In most cases neither of these conditions are of serious concern but it may be worthwhile to have a vet check to make absolutely sure there is nothing to worry about. Warts are generally caused by a virus and may well just resolve of themselves after a while as the immune system deals with the virus naturally and fatty lumps can be permanent but are usually benign. The concern would be if either are related to a cancerous condition in which case you would need veterinary advice / surgery or some other treatment.

By 10 years old (unless you already have regular health checks carried out on your schnauzer) I would recommend a general health check for your dog anyway - blood screen; heart etc. and you can have the warts examined then too.
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Dillydally
Puppy
First Name: Carolyn
Dog #1: Bentley
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 28 Feb 2011

Post by Dillydally »

I took him to the vet and he wasn't concerned about them but I was worried they may get caught by the clippers as a couple of them have got quite big. He wanted over £500 to take only the largest 2 off so I declined as there is nothing to say that the others may also get bigger. Luckily my groomer is very fully aware and takes extra care when grooming him. My other boy (12), has loads of fatty lumps all over and some really large over his breastbone. Vet said where they are pose no problem and so long as they're not in places that cause him a problem, i.e, lying down or walking, they are ok to be left.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

That’s good to know they are not a problem and that your groomer is careful and aware. I agree best to leave them alone if they are not a health issue :)
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/