Considering a Giant Schnauzer

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Louise Lockyer
First Name: Louise

Considering a Giant Schnauzer

Post by Louise Lockyer »

Safe to say, after my research so far I have fallen for this breed! And how could I not? They're gorgeous, friendly, protective big dogs.
I have a few questions to complete the first phase of my research, before I can consider committing to this breed.

So, I am 21, I live with my bf and we have a 6 year old female Alaskan malamute. I adore her. I've had her since I was 15 when a family member could no longer care for her. I'm no stranger to big dogs, or training stubborn dogs! I have experience with multiple large breeds and am dedicated to my research.
I am looking for a second dog who will be able to protect me and the home, while being a loyal and loving companion. I intend to commit to training and lots of exercise, we have a good sized home and a large garden, so lots of space. I work from home part time so I'm home a lot and have a lot of free time.

My current girl is very good, she loves other dogs and is very playful. She has lived with dogs before without issue. Malamutes commonly have same sex aggression with dogs but I lucked out, this hasn't been an issue ever for us. However I'd still be looking to get a male dog in hopes of them bonding as well as possible.

So, I've heard a lot of mixed messages about giant schnauzers with other dogs. Some say they love other dogs, and can live happily with other large breeds (especially of the opposite sex). Others imply they don't do well with other dogs and should be an only pet.
What do you all think? What are your experiences?

Health is another concern I have. I've read that they are prone to hip dysplasia and issues with bloating? I am a little worried about this. How common and how serious are health issues with the breed? Would you consider them healthy/Hardy dogs?

And lastly, any tips on finding a reputable breeder and ensuring a healthy happy pup?

Open to any and all advice, I appreciate it!
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Considering a Giant Schnauzer

Post by zeta1454 »

Welcome to the Forum :)

Do have a browse of the Giant Schnauzer section on the Forum and some of the other topics regarding getting a puppy which may be useful. Hopefully someone experienced with the GS breed will be able to answer your specific questions re temperament, sociability etc. as I only have experience with the mini schnauzer.

As regards health, the following are listed as areas of concern by the U.K. Kennel Club for the Giant Schnauzer which should be tested for by the breeder and the results given to any prospective puppy buyer. There are DNA tests and screening available for all these and you will want to know your puppy’s parents have been tested.

Hip dysplasia
Dilated Cardiomyopathy (DCM)
Progressive Retinal Atrophy (prcd-PRA)
Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA5)

All the above have DNA tests available and the results provided to any potential puppy buyer. In the U.K. the results may also be available for particular dogs online or through the breed club. Full details can be found on this link:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/search ... schnauzer/

You should also check the inbreeding coefficient as puppies from parent dogs that are closely related are at greater risk of hereditary conditions if they inherit the same gene from both sides of the pedigree. This too should be checked online via the health testing link for individual dogs - you will need their registered kennel name.

If you are in the U.K. you could also contact the breed clubs for more information and there is a specific Giant Schnauzer Club* as well as a couple of clubs that cater for all three schnauzer breeds.

* https://www.giantschnauzerclub.co.uk/

If you are not resident in the U.K., I would search for the breed club in your country for further information.

The U.K Kennel Club does have an Assured Breeder Scheme which inspects breeders’ premises and requires high standards of welfare and health testing of their breeding dogs. This could be a starting point for your search if you do live here. You do want to find a breeder that is passionate about the breed, knowledgeable regarding health, good puppy rearing, grooming etc. and who is committed to finding the best possible homes for their puppies. There is more detailed advice on looking for a good breeder generally on this link and others in the breeding and puppy sections of the Forum:

viewtopic.php?p=265508#p265508

And also on the Kennel Club website:

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/gettin ... ing-a-dog/

And from the Giant Schnauzer Club website:

https://www.giantschnauzerclub.co.uk/buying-puppy/
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
Louise Lockyer
First Name: Louise

Post by Louise Lockyer »

Hi! Thanks for your reply!
I am in the UK
Thank you for the links!

So would you say that those health issues are particularly common? Or are they generally okay if their parents are healthy?
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

Hi Louise
It is reallly difficult to say whether or not a health condition in any breed is ‘common’ in that the best breeders will be doing all they can to ensure their puppies are free of potential health issues through rigorous testing of their breeding dogs. Puppy farmed or backyard bred dogs of any breed or mix are always going to be at greater risk of health conditions being bred solely for financial gain, from parent dogs that are not health tested and being raised in poor conditions overall. The health conditions highlighted are the ones which have been identified as a specific risk for Giant Schnauzers over the years and, for the issues that can be predicted through DNA testing, it is always going to be best to choose a breeder who does health test to reduce the risks substantially of those health problems.

There is a useful link below explaining about the DNA testing of breeding dogs and how this can give reassurance that the offspring will be clear of those conditions:

http://www.giantschnauzerhealth.org.uk/ ... ested-dog/

If both parent dogs have a clear DNA test result then you should be reassured that the pups will also be clear. A DNA test is more reliable than for example a regular physical eye screening which needs repeating annually and is only valid for the time it is carried out.

With breeds that have a relatively small gene pool in that very few litters are bred each year, it may sometimes be necessary in order to retain overall gene diversity to use a carrier dog mated with a clear bitch or vice versa. The graphic in the link explains how this will affect the health status of the pups.

If you are in the U.K. I would recommend also going along to one of the breed specific Championship dog shows where you can get to see the dogs and meet their breeders:

https://www.giantschnauzerclub.co.uk/events/

There will also be Championship shows for all breeds including Giant schnauzers over the next few months and you could also find breeders and their dogs at these on the day when Working Dogs are being shown. The last major one this year is the Ladies Kennel Association show which is being held in Stafford and Giant Schnauzers will be shown on 9 December. Members of the public are usually allowed to attend as spectators but you could check in advance if you did want to go. Meeting the breeders and dogs all in one place is a useful starting point for anyone looking for a pedigree dog as it can give the opportunity of getting to know a breeder and finding out more about their dogs; breeding plans etc. and for the breeders to talk to you too after they have had their dogs in the ring.

https://cdn.highampress.co.uk/3567/LKA- ... e-2023.pdf
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/