Barking and collar vs harness

Everything you need to know about bringing a puppy into your life starts here. How to find that Schnauzer puppy, what to look for in a breeder, early care, training and feeding are all covered. We even cover Schnauzer crocodile teeth.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
AnK88
First Name: Andrea

Barking and collar vs harness

Post by AnK88 »

Hello everyone!

My mini got his last vaccine on November 9th, and I started taking him out. Problems started arising: he pulls a lot, grabs stuff from the ground, wants to get pet by everyone, and barks at other dogs, eager to play. Living in a fairly dirty city, I clean his paws after each walk, but I dislike him chewing on things, and I can't seem to resolve it. The breeder suggested a collar instead of a harness to avoid posture issues, but sometimes I notice him panting a lot. In less distracting environments, he behaves better, but it's challenging in a busy city like Athens.

I walk him in a large park full of dogs but never unleash him due to fear he might run away. He's approaching 4 months soon. I'm considering a harness to prevent neck issues and wondering if growing up might resolve the barking problem. Despite trying various methods (several brands of treats)Image[/img], he remains highly distracted once he sees other humans, cat or dogs.

Thank you!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Barking and collar vs harness

Post by Dawnspell »

I'm not sure why your breeder things a harness will cause posture issues. I personally prefer a harness.

The barking will not resolve by not doing anything it will get worse and will start spreading into other parts of life like at noises at home. You've kind of answered youre own question as to how to help with his behaviour "In less distracting environments, he behaves better " He is overwhelmed by the exciting environment a bit like putting a toddler in a sweet shop and expecting them not to eat any sweets, he just wants to explore everything but cant control his excitement. This is also why he's not accepting treats. This is one of my indicators with Jasper, if he doesnt accept a treat I know hes struggling in that environment.

Start things like lead training, focus on you, recall, in the house then move into the garden. If you dont have a garden then find a quiet spot and gradually increase the difficulty once hes got the hang of something in an easier environment.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
AnK88
First Name: Andrea

Re: Barking and collar vs harness

Post by AnK88 »

Thank you for your response. Trainers also suggest a collar for better dog control. He accepts treats, but once he eats, the barking restarts. The challenge is the 10-minute walk through a busy road to reach the park (traffic, people, and other dogs). He only barks at other dogs; city sounds no longer bother him. Today's walk was much better, although he's now learned to lie on the ground if I don't allow him to sniff or observe something. I encountered a trainer in the park, so I'm considering some basic training. At home, he's perfect—barking only during play and excelling in basic commands. He waits for my command to eat and doesn't disturb me while I'm working. I will focus on the commands that you suggest, thank you very much!