Fireworks

The Miniature Schnauzer is a smallest dog in the Schnauzer breed and originated in the mid-to-late 19th Century from Germany. The Miniature Schnauzer is a cross between the Standard Schnauzer and other smaller breeds such as the Poodle. A miniature Schnauzer is a spunky, but aloof dog who does things their own way. They tend to be good guard dogs without the tendency to bite.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
MomofHowie2016
First Name: Cindy

Fireworks

Post by MomofHowie2016 »

Hi, I am fairly new to these boards. I now have Howie, age 7 years, after his dad, my boyfriend, passed away in January. I have had Howie since the end of October when his dad went to the hospital. I was with him when he went to a Miniature Schnauzer breeder, in Columbus, Ohio, and came home with Howie. So I’ve been with Howie from day one. I have always had dogs and currently have a Maltese and, now, Howie. How do Schnauzers react to fireworks? I formerly had a Standard Poodle that was very sensitive/scared of fireworks. It was so bad, I had to give her medication to calm her down. I live in a small city, in the downtown area. Once the weather warms up and the holidays are upon us, there will be random fireworks going off. They do not bother the Maltese but I wonder if this might be a problem for Howie.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Fireworks

Post by Dawnspell »

I'd say thats something thats not really breed specific but more the individual dog. Neither of my two bothered about fireworks, thunder, gun shot sounds, cars backfiring etc

Is he sensitive to that sort of sound now ? It may help the fact your Maltese isnt bothered.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Re: Fireworks

Post by zeta1454 »

I agree with the above that this is not a breed specific trait. We have had 7 miniature schnauzers over the years and none have been disturbed by fireworks and of our other current 11 affenpinschers only one has ever been frightened by loud noises and as she has now become almost deaf in old age she no longer reacts to fireworks either!

You could try exposing Howie in a carefully controlled way to a recording of fireworks or similar noise and see if he does react at all in a frightened way. These links may also help if you do think there is a problem:

https://bdch.org.uk/files/BATTERSEA_Get ... noises.pdf

https://www.battersea.org.uk/pet-advice ... oud-noises
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/