Collar recommendations

Found a nice dog coat? Found a cozy pub that's Schnauzer friendly or even a Schnauzer friendly B&B. Feel free to share it here. Basically anything that we would want to buy for our Schnauzer goes here.
mookie&me

Collar recommendations

Post by mookie&me »

I've just had Mookie in a simple nylon weave collar as she's been growing, but now it looks like she's not going to get any bigger, I'd like to change it.

There is a bewildering array of collars out there on the big wide net, ranging from £3 to £1000s (hypnotised) and they all seem to be either nylon or leather. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both?

Thanks everyone. (bigthumbs)
dannie_kl

Re: Collar recommendations

Post by dannie_kl »

hmmm well here is my personal opinion.
nylon are normally cheaper and easy to replace
nylon can come in some nice designs and matching leads
nylon normally has a better range of colours.
leather collars normally lasta good length of time
leather can be plain and simple or you can get some nice designs but normally at a higher cost.
leather collars in general cost more than nylon collars.
leather collars have buckles which are safer
nylon collars with plastic clip fastening can break if the dog pulls too hard but some nylon collars have buckles.
if you want something with a pretty design have a look at nylon, if you want a collar of good quality, designed to last look at leather. I have 2 beautiful collars made from english saddle leather encrusted with swarovski crystals, yes they cost £65 each and took 6 weeks to make in holland but everyone stops me to tell me how beautiful ruby's collar is and they have lasted 2 years already! i used to go to crufts with a max limit of £30 a collar for the year, well that collar has paid for itself really and there is no reason why it should break in the near future, freya has a similar collar.
Kolo has a leather half check collar (didnt fancy sparkly diamonds on him just yet) which was great value for money at only £5.95 and it really suits him and frankly if it broke next week i would be disappointed because it suits him but wouldnt be annoyed because i spent loads of money on it. i think its what you like really and what you want from your collar.
SarahA
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Pippa
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 22 May 2009
Dog #2: Daisy
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 May 2012

Post by SarahA »

Have a look at the Dublin Dog Collars. They are made of rubber, they can be washed if they get smelly or dirty. The Dublin Dog collars come in lots of colours and patterns - for a mini you need a small size.

http://www.dog-online.co.uk/Dog_Collars ... egory.html
Sarah + Pippa (p&s mini - d.o.b.22/5/09) & Daisy (b&s mini - d.o.b 01/5/12) - Perfect additions to our family.
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

We use a black leather collar for Ralph which has his idendity tag on it but we use a Puppia Harness for walking.

I LOVE LOVE those rubber ones - very tempted!
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
august23

Post by august23 »

Those collars are lovely, might have to get Ottolot one for indoors. He wears his Ceaser Milan on walks and it's great (bigthumbs) but I think they have to be one to wear one [mini dog]
Otto Black Standard
Ruby Black Mini
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Oh, wow! They look so smart! (clap)

Just what I'm looking for Sarah. Thanks! (wink)
Stephm86

Post by Stephm86 »

If you like leather collars I love these
http://www.hamishmcbeth.com/products/pr ... yNumber=22
I reallywant to get Indie one, we saw a little westie with one on, it was lovely and it has a seperate D ing so the lead sits at the top but the tag at the bottom still which I think is alot better.
I think the ones for girls are lovely but I dont think Indie would appreciate butterflys and flowers
KezPaulKyle

Post by KezPaulKyle »

Dannie, you have too much time on your hands - get a job!? (giggle) You know far too much about collars - have you ever thought of becoming a collar salesperson? You would be great! (dogrun)
Holly-Boo, Missy-Moo and Tilly Tittlemouse Too!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Steph! Being fickle, the leather ones are now my favourite and I'm v.v. tempted now (hammer)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

steph they are gorgeous collars and lurve the rubber collars too!
@ kezpaulkyle, i work with 30 odd spaniels, plus have my 4 dogs i see more collars and leads than hot dinners in a month!lol plus i am very particular about my dogs collars, they have to be just so!
this is where i got my collars from!
http://www.diamonddogs.us/
KezPaulKyle

Post by KezPaulKyle »

Dannie - I bow to your superior collar knowledge (hail) , lol. I especially like pink sparkley collars at the moment - I got some lovely ones off e-bay for my gals for christmas (oh dear, I hope they don't read this, or the surprise will be spoilt). (dogrun)
Holly-Boo, Missy-Moo and Tilly Tittlemouse Too!
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Steph, I found that site when I was channel hopping the other day (my god there are a lot of collar-selling websites out there!) and really love it. The collars are so stylish, and the other clothes and things on there are far too tempting too!

Thanks... My VISA card loves you.
SarahA
First Name: Sarah
Dog #1: Pippa
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 22 May 2009
Dog #2: Daisy
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 01 May 2012

Post by SarahA »

I found this UK stockist of the Hamish McBeth range and they have some on sale!

http://www.justdogsshop.co.uk/hamish_mcbeth_range
Sarah + Pippa (p&s mini - d.o.b.22/5/09) & Daisy (b&s mini - d.o.b 01/5/12) - Perfect additions to our family.
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Thanks Sarah! You must share you doggie bookmarks with us someday. You are an endless source of cool online dog shops!
(read)
Stephm86

Post by Stephm86 »

(giggle) I apoligise to all of your bank accounts
I think I wil get Indie one for christmas or even get him a little girl schnauzer for christmas so I can buy her the one's with flowers on then Indie won't look silly.
(bigthumbs)