FURMINATOR

Grooming is an important part of looking after your Schnauzer. Regular grooming will help keep your Schnauzer healthy and comfortable and you will spot potential problems early. Whether you decide to clip or strip your Schnauzer, help is on hand. Schnauzers are generally a non-shedding breed and will require a fair amount of grooming to get rid of dead hair.
Jaymint

FURMINATOR

Post by Jaymint »

Hi

Bought Minty a furminator for Christmas (well it was for me really). I was wondering if anyone has used it on a mini schnauzer and are they any good.

Any tips on the best way to use it would be appreciated, I seem to be just taking the top coat off, she is hand stripped so I don't want to ruin her coat.

Thanks Janet
lizweb20

Post by lizweb20 »

I posted the very same question on another site. Didn't get any replys, so would be very interesed to see replys you get. :wink:
I still haven't bought one, but thought it would be very good if it worked on Schnauzers. :?
Liz Webster
snazy

Post by snazy »

They aren't really designed for schnauzer coats, they are for getting out the undercoat on breeds who are moulting.

If you want to get undercoat out, you are better to stick with stripping knives and rake through the coat.

If the undercoat has got very thick, you could use a coat king to open out the coat a bit to allow the stripping knife to get into the coat, it also helps if you keep the top coat short. If the coat is quite long, it would be better to take the whole lot out and start again.
lizweb20

Post by lizweb20 »

Thanks Snazy. :)
Glad I didn't buy one. :)
Liz Webster
snazy

Post by snazy »

They are essentially just a 10 clipper blade without the top, cutting blade.

So they are a bit big to use on a mini, anyway. I have used one occasionally on my giants but even then, it is quicker to use a stripping knife :wink:

Janet, just seen your intro now! With Mintys coat you are doing a good job with it anyway!! :wink:
Jaymint

Post by Jaymint »

Hi

Thanks for that, I will send it back bought it off the telly so you have 30 days to try it.

Snazy! only just realised who you are. After being spayed Minty's coat is a bit of a mess she had to wear babygrow thing, and it got all matted underneath, anyway been cutting mats out bit by bit. Don't shout too much when I see you next.

It wasn't my fault - Honest!
snazy

Post by snazy »

hmmm, should i let you off?? :wink:

Soon have her back to looking like she should again!