training treats

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
Joni

training treats

Post by Joni »

I have made some training treats, which my dogs seem to love, so here is the reciepe! Don't worry it is not complicated. Anyone who is concerned about 'after effects and smells' should wait for an update tommorow [laughing] [laughing]

I made a batch for the weekend as we are doing a sponsored agility event (yes that is me & Dylan!!!) and a dog show so I needed plenty ready!!

I used 3 tins of tuna and drained off the oil, added 2 eggs and garlic powder (which I guess is optional - I did not put to much in) and then added plain flour to a bread dough consistency. Then I put it in a microwave plastic container about 1/2 inch thick and microwaved for about 4-6 minutes, although I think 6 minutes was a bit over done. It should come out like very heavy bread, so you can cube it up and have it in your pocket dry, rather than greasy sausage or chicken, I don't feed kibble or biscuits so I have less options for treats, and I fancied a change from left over suasage.

So they really seem to like it and focus for it, so we will see if it suits them OK. I used it last night with Dylan and he is fine today. I may not give layla too many as one of the reasons I moved to BARF was I thought wheat or grain may have affected her skin, so the flour may not help. She is suffering with her skin a little currently as she got in the cats feeding room and had a big treat the other day, so it is defo something in processed food & biscuits, but I don't know what.

Hope this helps,
Joni
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Re: training treats

Post by Sianny »

This agility event sounds amazing! I know you'll be busy but It'd be nice to see a pic or two of the day!

Those treats sound yummy - can Layla do Rice? rice flour might do the trick - it's really dry but the tuna and egg will moisten it up (used to be wheat free meself!)

I will genuinely try these treats, how many grams of flour, roughly speaking? x
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Joni

Post by Joni »

I don't honestly know what the problem is with Layla, it may be nothing to do with flour, but some other additive, all I know is she itches and scratches if she has tinned food, kibble (even hypoallergenic) or say jumbones or the like, but BARF au she is fine, she eats sausage which has some wheat in I guess but in no great qty.

Will take some pictures of the weekend for sure.

I did not weigh the flour, it was more a case of tuna and egg and then adding flour bit by bit until the tuna mix was like a bread dough consistency, i.e. dry enough to hold as a lump in your hands without it bieng sticky on your hands and not too dry to flake up. It is exactly the same as if you make bread before you put it to rise (NA I have never used a breadmaker!)

hope this helps J
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

Tulip

Post by Tulip »

That's a great recipe, thanks! Been meaning to flick through the Cooking for your Dog book I got for my birthday, I'll have a look and see if there's anything wheat free that could be suitable for Layla.
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

oh i think i might try these for the girls !
ImageBig dogs in little packages
Trace&Chris

Post by Trace&Chris »

Joni did you have any of these treats on you today??? Ben is trumping like a trooper! Normally we could move to another room when he's smelly, but we're in a caravan this week....phew..open the window!!!
Joni

Post by Joni »

No - just richmond irish sausages when I saw you - which are usually OK for mine.......perhaps it was the beer :-) or they are not harderned hotel sausage eating dogs! Sorry!
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

Trace&Chris

Post by Trace&Chris »

hee hee, must've been the lemonade in the shandy, they're used to full bodied bitter or larger! lol
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I will try your recipe. I make a similar one with minced liver, but I bake it in the oven and it makes the whole house smell discusting but the guys love it.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
DustyD

Post by DustyD »

Great idea thanks.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

might try them myself they sound yummy (giggle)

good luck with the agility competition
DustyD

Post by DustyD »

Agility, now that sounds like fun.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

great tip for making treats, sweaty cheese in your pocket is not good for 4 1/2 hours dog training! lol
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

LOL. What an attractive image. I too hate the grease of kibbles sometimes or especially salami, so I think I will give these a try for sure.
Joni

Post by Joni »

There appears to be no after effects so to speak, although Layla is not as interested in them as chicken or sausage, but it is less important for her = Dylan about the same as sauasage but chicken still has the top spot.

Note to self, never make them in advance and put them in the fridge unless you want your fridge stinking out.

Will use from time to time though instead of sausage as they are drier (for me) and I think less fatty (for dog!)
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk