Barking help!!

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
Chestersmum
First Name: nikki
Dog #1: chester
Born: 22 Apr 2008

Barking help!!

Post by Chestersmum »

Hi all.

Does anyone know of a good behaviourist in the Essex area. I have been really trying to get chesters barking under control but I'm failing badly (crying)

I think I need to get a professional in to help

thanks
nikki x
Owned by Chester, Black & Silver Mini and my little ray of sunshine
Darwinsmum

Re: Barking help!!

Post by Darwinsmum »

Have you tried the COAPE or APDT websites the should have lists of behaviourists. Good luck.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

Hi Nikki, have pm'd you.
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
on-the-coast

Post by on-the-coast »

What have you tried if you don't mind me asking?
Would surely be interesting to me.
Or: is there another topic on barking that I failed to find?

(And I hope you find a good behaviourist, not someone who tells you to feed the dog potatoes.... (hypnotised) -something that I read a while ago in a topic, which was suggested to calm a dog down) I thought that was funny but I also kept it in mind!
1 Standard + 1 mini + 2 humans = a cocktail for a good life
http://www.rightnowyoga.blogspot.com
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

potatoes! oh dear! :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Potatoes keep your dog calm? Silly theory, I shall not be trying that.

*runs to raid fridge in desperation as Maisy has had the zoomies for the last ten minutes*
schett

Post by schett »

you may have to go back to basics of why is he barking or who is he barkling at ?
if he barks at people who pass has the people come near try to take his mind of it without knowing the reason of baking its hard to try to help but they can be taken out of it
sugarbear

Post by sugarbear »

You have my sympathy girl! My little Jasmine has the high pitch bark. We work on it everyday. I have been out taking her on walks with two other dogs. She is improving, but it is slow. Just be patient I am sure it will improve. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
My girls
sugarbear &
jasmine
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

I think alot of schnauzers bark at passers by or people they "meet and greet" out on walks, mine run at other people barking so if there are people about my dogs dont come off lead unfortunately.
Chestersmum

Post by Chestersmum »

sugarbear wrote:You have my sympathy girl! My little Jasmine has the high pitch bark. We work on it everyday. I have been out taking her on walks with two other dogs. She is improving, but it is slow. Just be patient I am sure it will improve. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
I do hope so , I have tried the Amichen way of doing things - didn't really help, tried the ignoring it, rattle bottle, tapping him (a la cesar millan), teaching him to bark on command and then quiet/enough comand to shut him up .

The thing is when I'm at home and i tell him he does stop, but I do get my mum moaning that he does it during the day and she can't stop him which makes me angry as she doesn't show interest when I show her what to do, her way is to shout at him, and when I tell her thats one of the reasons he is barking so loud to get over her she wont have it.

Still i've tried (confused) with her if she's not prepared to do it as I have told her then the barking will carry on.
purplemini

Post by purplemini »

I really empathise with you. At one point I was getting really upset about Claude's barking (mostly when we're out and about and meet people/dogs but also if the doorbell goes/if a bird arrives in the garden etc etc). I tried all the different methods and all had varying degrees of success but none really got to the bottom of it and usually he would completely lose focus on me and just work himself up into a frenzy of barking and jumping. Over the last couple of weeks he has dramatically improved and I'm not really sure why (not very helpful!) but I think a lot of it has been my relaxing and trying not to pre-empt it - if we saw other people, dogs, I would tend to tense up, stop and get Claude to sit etc, almost expecting him to bark. Now, I try to continue walking towards the people/dogs whilst talking happily to Claude - I think some of his barking was 'anxiety' so showing him that I'm not anxious maybe helps? I don't know and it may just be a good phase he is going through (hope not!) and he still barks a lot in the garden, but at least in that situation, if I call him, he will come in and then I can distract him.

Hope things soon improve for you and Chester :)
Claude Divine: Changing my life, one day at a time...
(he Tweets, you know: http://twitter.com/ClaudeDivine)
Chestersmum

Post by Chestersmum »

purplemini wrote:I really empathise with you. At one point I was getting really upset about Claude's barking (mostly when we're out and about and meet people/dogs but also if the doorbell goes/if a bird arrives in the garden etc etc). I tried all the different methods and all had varying degrees of success but none really got to the bottom of it and usually he would completely lose focus on me and just work himself up into a frenzy of barking and jumping. Over the last couple of weeks he has dramatically improved and I'm not really sure why (not very helpful!) but I think a lot of it has been my relaxing and trying not to pre-empt it - if we saw other people, dogs, I would tend to tense up, stop and get Claude to sit etc, almost expecting him to bark. Now, I try to continue walking towards the people/dogs whilst talking happily to Claude - I think some of his barking was 'anxiety' so showing him that I'm not anxious maybe helps? I don't know and it may just be a good phase he is going through (hope not!) and he still barks a lot in the garden, but at least in that situation, if I call him, he will come in and then I can distract him.

Hope things soon improve for you and Chester :)
Thats is exactly what its like when chester is with me, im quite a laid back and calm person (unless we are watching england in the world cup (giggle) ) where as my mum gets stressed easily and he obviously picks up on that.

Chester knows when I say tell him to stop barking he has to stop.

I think I need to get her some meditation tapes and get her to relax a bit either that or ply her with (beer)
Cloudchaser
First Name: Fiona
Dog #1: Oscar
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 18 Mar 2010
Dog #2: Daisy
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 03 Jan 1916

Post by Cloudchaser »

I think I need to get her some meditation tapes and get her to relax a bit either that or ply her with (beer)[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head!
jo b
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Lily
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Jul 2020

Post by jo b »

Our two were driving us mad with their barking especially when the doorbell rang and Ebony's is a high pitch squeal-truly awful!

We have got the kids water pistol out and we warn them- then if they carry on they get squirted.

Now you only have to pick it up and they stop... the funny thing is they shake themselves even when they haven't been sqirted LOL!
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

This might also be cause dogs shake themselves when they've experienced a stressful or full-on encounter. Almost to shake off the tension. Maybe they think they're real guns [laughing]