What should you consider before getting a Giant?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Foxwood
Puppy

Re: What should you consider before getting a Giant?

Post by Foxwood »

Hello Graham

No not at all, i dont understand when a breeder makes a truthful comment/statement they are accused of scoring points..... i only added something that i thought was necessary to the thread to give the pet owner/lover an insight to endorsements, and gave a valid example.

Could you explain the difference between a breeder and a pet lover/owner making a valid comment on a thread without being accused of personal issues.

cheers

(cool)
Admit your mistakes before someone else exaggerates them
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Foxwood wrote:Could you explain the difference between a breeder and a pet lover/owner making a valid comment on a thread without being accused of personal issues.(cool)
Easy......Valid comments are of a general nature. Personal issues target an individual.
Just don't do it.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Dianep

Post by Dianep »

Can't help putting my two pennorth in, simply because I am learning so much from these threads I hate to see them being locked like this.

I understand why, but Graham could you perhaps set a ruling of 'no names, no pack drill' to coin a phrase and then the PM service can be used to address individuals. Just an idea?
Gently Bentley

Post by Gently Bentley »

I guess if you're considering a Giant - expect there to be politics amongst breeders as with any other breed especially if you are considering a show puppy and that you will probably be asked to sign endorsed papers and any other conditions a breeder may attach to the puppy.

Research as much as you can the health of the breed.

This is a very good database to start with as a lot of dogs in the UK are from American and European stock. I'm not aware of a Europe wide data base but it would be nice to see something similar in the UK.

http://www.giantschnauzerrescue.net/hea ... esults.htm

Edited to add: There are some British breeders in this database including son/mother mating
Last edited by Gently Bentley on 06 Apr 2011, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
PrimaVista

Post by PrimaVista »

Diane, there will always be opportunists who skulk, who just contribute by way of an inflammatory comment here or a libellous dig there. It's normally out of pent up frustration or jealousy.

Such people need counselling, not forum moderating.

Rgds
http://www.primavistagiants.co.uk
BARFed Dogs = Super, Happy, Healthy Dogs !
REDWITCH Premium Dog Food Distributor
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Dianep wrote:Can't help putting my two pennorth in, simply because I am learning so much from these threads I hate to see them being locked like this.

I understand why, but Graham could you perhaps set a ruling of 'no names, no pack drill' to coin a phrase and then the PM service can be used to address individuals. Just an idea?
I wish it was so easy but I can't see anyway to do it. I would prefer to let threads run but there is just no point when they become personal.
Moderating is a thankless job. We either cut threads off too soon or let them run too long till the wheels fall off.
I'm not complaining, just saying the way it is.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
Foxwood
Puppy

Post by Foxwood »

Mike grow up!

I have made a statement today on a different thread which you know is true.

You can be as venomous and personal as you like, you show your true colours as always...What ever you fabricate or enhance, it still does not alter the facts.

Sorry Go Eddie........ I had a right to reply
Admit your mistakes before someone else exaggerates them
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

OK............I've let you reply.
This does not contribute to the forum.
It would be good if we could stop now.

You seem to have an issue with "Primavista". This is not the place to resolve it.
Please stop or I will start deleting posts.
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

This is an informational thread to encourage potential buyers to buy from good breeders and if someone is trying to find out what they should be looking for with a breeder/puppy the last thing they need to see is all this mud slinging. fine people need to ask about possible health issues which cant always be tested for but they not need to see that one person has a grievance with another
Freddy's boy
Puppy

Post by Freddy's boy »

I hesitate to ask looking at the above posts but have a few questions about the grooming requirements. Not sure if this is the correct place. I've had big hairy GSD's that require a brush through everyday other wise they get matted in the groin area and under the elbows but otherwise not too bad and of course they shed!

If I get a Giant Schnauzer I won't be showing it so:

How often do you clip or strip? What are the advantages of each? How long does each take?

This is the stupid question - What do you do with their beards - I'm guessing it gets into EVERTHING (sick) , but those I've seen in real life always look clean.
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

First of all I just read this thread all the way though again and would like to say that please don't be put of by the breeders 'panter'. Like in all dog breeds, there are some deeply rooted issues that pop up every now and a lot of stones get thrown.
I wish they didn't do it in the open forum, because it could put of ideal Giant owners like yourself, but I hope you ignore it (cool)
Anyway... grooming. First of all whether to clip or strip? It depends of lot of things. Will your pup have a coat that can be stripped [different lines have different coats, some harsh, some soft, some little furnishings , some a lot]? Will you do it yourself, ie have you got time? Will you have him/her groomed by somebody else, [having a Giant stripped can be expensive]? Which one you like the look of?
The correct way is stripping, but it is not as easy as it sounds and will reguire some practise to get right.
Clipping is pretty easy to learn and will keep your dog looking 'tidy' for longer.
Stripped coat is weatherproof and will stay cleaner and dry quicker. Clipped coat holds water and gets 'dusty' because it's very dense. If you have a fluffy pup they're most likely to have a lot of furnishings as well which will hold a lot of dirt.

I clip my Lizzie because she isn't strippable. I strip [well roll, but that's another thread] Annie and will be stripping my new fella as well.
In the end it's your decision, but whatever you do it's a lot more work than looking after GSD's coat. Specially if you want them looking their best, which I'm sure you do.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Forgot to say that if you decide to strip, you can either do a full strip [meaning the whole top coat is pulled out and no it doesn't hurt cause it's dead hair] 3-4 times a year. Or you can roll the coat meaning you'll pull out dead hairs once a week.
With both of these you'll need to clip the head, chest and bum and brush/card the coat regularly.
If you decide to clip, to keep your dog looking tidy you should do a full clip every 6-8 weeks. Clipped coat still needs brushing, specially the furninshing ie leg hairs and skirt.
If you're not going to show and want an easier life, then clipping would be your choice.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Excellent posts, Satu!
Freddy's boy
Puppy

Post by Freddy's boy »

I've been looking at the breed health and screening and notice on the Giant Schnauzer Club website that eye screening is recommended before considering a litter of puppies but not hip scoring.

Coming from GSD's THE BIGGEST issue is with hip scores. With the Kennel Club making threats against the breed unless breeders are responsible and only use healthy dogs. The divergence of show dogs with hump backs and working dogs with straighter backs has also been a concern.

On the British Veterinary Association website there is a list of Hip Scores by Breed and results of the testing scheme. About 40000 GSDs have been through the scheme and hip scores are improving year on year. The latest figures show a range of 0-106 and a mean score of 19 for GSDs. In comparison Giant Schnauzers have 173 dogs tested (I realise they are almost a rare breed) with a range of 0-75 and a mean score of 14. This is not a million miles away from the GSD and I wondered why more breeding Giants do not have their hips scored, or why the breed club is not recommending it to breeders.
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

Sorry can't help much. I think that eye testing is required and hip scoring is advised but not essential. I think it's because they're not seen as having a problem to prevent? Hopefully an experienced breeder will be able to give more info
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx