Young male Giants?

The Giant Schnauzer is an example of working breed of dog and has a dense, coarse coat that protects them against the elements and vermin. The Giant Schnauzer is the largest of the three breeds.
Forum rules
Please feel free to post here if your topic does not fit into one of the categories under 'Caring for your Schnauzer'. There are sections for breeding, feeding, grooming, showing and many more that may be more appropriate than this generic section
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Re: Young male Giants?

Post by Eddie »

I've done that.....
I've had dogs all my life but have learnt a lot by reading through these posts in the giant section.
It wouldn't discourage me from owning one but at least I would know what I was letting myself in for.
There are quite a few giants on the forum now..........Thanks for sharing.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

when you read all the posts what come out to me the most is the love we all have for giant schnauzers. we all say the same there is one dog for us a giant schnauzer
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

I was talking to my other half about this thread and how much has transpired. This is definitely the most I've ever learned! He was really shocked about how much of your spare time you guys devote to your Giants, he didn't believe me either until I showed him! He was also in awe of you!

His question he wanted me to put is...how do you cope with work/jobs? Can't put them in the kitchen surely, they'll start cooking dinner (cool) !
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

I'm lucky to be able to work part time, 4 hours mon-fri, but I did wait till I could work part time before I got Archie. I waited for him for 7 years and 9 months to be exact.
I would never recommend people having a Giant if they work 8-10 hours a day.
Mine are on their own max. 5 hours a day and Annie is still locked up in her crate, because I don't trust her yet not to distroy the house.
Believe me, they can literally distroy your house in 5 hours!
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Trace&Chris

Post by Trace&Chris »

5 hours?? 5 mins more like! I turned my back on Ben this morning and he had pinched my barm off the work surface! We are lucky that Chris is a Postman and delivers round our estate so they have an hour and a haf in the kitchen in a morning then he comes home on his break and then they go outside where they have the run of the patio area and a massive kennel (so big that you could stand up in in!!), whilst Crhis goes off for a couple of hours to do his delivery. If we both worked 9 - 5 there is no way I would consider having any breed of dog, it just isn't fair
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

It's a shame, because when we're at work, we miss the sleeping, peaceful bit! I think it's important to drive home the work message too so thank you for answering. It's harder to arrange a dog walker for a Giant, even financially as you'd pay them for 3 hours work! I think this is really driving home that Giants (any big clever dog) in particular are a huge huge lifestyle choice. Mustn't forget they do eventually reward you for your hard work :)

Do you have any safe zones in the house, for slippers and cookies etc? I'd get a safe if I had a Minxster :)
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

None of mine have counter surfed or chewed things [she knocks her head..], but I will always use a crate and would always recommend a crate for any dog owner.
Also I have got mine used to Nylabones from a puppy and honestly think that has saved our furniture.
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

I agree, chews and crates are my life savers. Crates are not only good for the owners but it keeps the dogs safe too from chewing and swallowing something dangerous.

In a few years time I hope to get either a Giant or a Standard Poodle - my boyfriend is learning towards Giant, because he thinks Poodles are girly, so perhaps I should show him this thread! ;)
Schnauzer Floyd

Post by Schnauzer Floyd »

Fortunately, being able to work from home, we’ve been lucky in that there’s always been someone there with Floyd so he has never chewed anything in the house. The only thing he’s done was rip my PJ bottoms when he was a puppy by tugging at them when wanting to play ! I wouldn’t have a Giant (or any dog for that matter) if I worked full time. He’s never been a food thief either. I could quite confidently leave a plate of food out and he won’t touch it....he’ll stare longingly at it but wouldn’t dare take anything ! He’s very good in that respect.
Schnauzer Floyd

Post by Schnauzer Floyd »

P.S. Just remembered my little Mini called John-John once chewed the heels of my brand new pair of shoes !!! They'd never even been worn !! Aargh ! Was my own fault though for leaving them out....
BBG
First Name: Gerri
Dog #1: Rufus
is a: Black Giant Dog
Dog #2: Eva
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #3: Blaze
is a: Black Mini Dog

Post by BBG »

I waited over 20 years for Rufus. Firstly because I had young children, then when they went to school I worked full time 9-5.

Now the kids are young adults. I took redundancy 3 years ago when my mother-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumour, then started back at work part-time when she died. I now work part/full-time but work a good proportion from home. I probably go out 3 times/week for 4-5 hours. On the odd occasion I'm out for longer then usually one of the kids is home from college or uni. When he was younger my parents used to have him or come and dog sit. He used to be in a crate if he was on his own but has never really shown an inclination to chew the furniture, so gets the run of most of downstairs when we're out. He's usually asleep on his bed when I return.

Occasionally I have to go abroad over night to head office. Rufus then goes to work for the day with my husband who has his own business. He either lounges on the sofa's at work or curls up under the desk.

We have a stair gate that stops him going upstairs (so far). He's only allowed upstairs on a Saturday morning when I let him through to bounce on my husband [devil] while I go and make coffee. He's usually laying on his back having his tummy scratched having a good old chin wag with my husband when I go back up. He only tends to counter surf when someone is in the kitchen. I try to keep the surfaces clear, but if there is something he thinks he wants and no-ones around, then he gives this really high pitched girly yip!
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin

Post by henrys mum »

When Henry was young one saturday morning the back door was open to the garden and my OH and I were getting the kids ready to go out. So Henry was on his own in the kitchen for 15mins! He thought that was unacceptable and showed us how he felt.........We came down to the sofa cushions (big kitchen with sofa in corner) in the garden ripped to bits and the foam piece stuffing spread all over the grass. It looked like it was snowing in July!!!! Good job we didn't like the sofa!
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Ahahaha at the girly bark! Big, strapping, dog with a bark like that, bless him. I like the Saturday morning routine, sounds like he's really fitted in well with your family!

Cathy, I had a good giggle at Henry telling you his thoughts with his destructive abilities! Naughty boy! ;)
murphygrowl

Post by murphygrowl »

we have had three giants getting a fourth next sat and the only damage done was day we got him.he thought the xmas tree was a swing and he took a liking to my wifes new shoes never did find out were the heels went.
Mari Obi and Fingal
First Name: Mari
Dog #1: Obi
Dog #2: Fingal

Post by Mari Obi and Fingal »

Just wanted to comment on work and Giant ownership...I am in a blessed situation that when I am at work, my other half is at home with the dogs.
However, the dogs must be used to being left alone, and we make a point of leaving the dogs home alone frequently. It has been very difficult for Obi to learn, he hates it, but is ok currently up to 7 hours. He was only crated up to age of 8 months, after that he has been left free to roam around. He never destroyed anything.

I would not hesitate keeping Giants even if I was a "single Mum" to my dogs and worked full time in my current job (3 long days or nights a week).
I am confident that with the amount of work and effort I put into my dogs, they would still have a very good quality of life, even thou they would need to spend more time on their own.

I know it is not ideal, and I would never recommend it to any dog owner, but sometimes the life throws unexpected twists for all of us to cope with.

When my previour Giant was 1y old, I commenced full time studies, and led a normal life. My boy was perfectly ok being left up to 7h 5 days a week. He had a good walk in the morning, never destroyed anything at home when left, and greeted me at the door with a wonky sleepy beard when I came back home, and was ready for action immediately. So was I, and we used to go for a quick 30 min walkie around the park, and then come home, I would eat, and then, off we went for our 2.5h evening fun.

As long as the dogs are happy, I am happy. I would have to get a dog walker if I were a "single Mum", but I am sure it would not be the end of the world. That might even give me a good reason to reduce my working hours which would be great!
Mari

"Life is meaningless without a Giant"
http://obinsivut.suntuubi.com/?cat=11