screaming dog

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Re: screaming dog

Post by hula-hoop »

Stanley was barking at the computer printer earlier!
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
barneybear1
Puppy

Post by barneybear1 »

I'm so pleased I am not alone. My baby is so lovely in every other way (well apart from the chewing up of various objects). But as you all say we get a very bad reputation.
Appy
First Name: Charlotte
Dog #1: Elsa
Born: 01 Jun 2010

Post by Appy »

And me :-)

Elsa makes the highest pitch noise ever when she gets scared - it sounds like a squeaky gate hinge....only even higher!! Several people have said they've never heard anything like it!
Greta and Elsa, eight pawprints across our hearts
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Derwent wrote:Monty doesn't scream but has a very high pitched yap, more of a yip yip, we met a lovely standard this morning on our walk called Scamp and Monty was SOOOOO excited to see him he was screaming until I let him and Max off the leads and they then had a lovely long walk over the fields.

My next door neighbour has asked when Monty's voice will break - not sure if this changes once he's had the snip - but she can't really complain she has three border collies (all rescue) who bark at birds, helicopters and lawnmowers!
Yvonne teddy is the same, he is so excited he yaps bvery high pitched, of all the dogs you would not believe he is one of the boys!
barneybear1
Puppy

Post by barneybear1 »

What's the watch me exercise?
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

When you que the dog looking at you with 'Watch me!' so you can get a dependable attention span when in higher stim situations.
Snazy
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Tara
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Born: 09 Sep 1998
Dog #2: Fria
is a: White Mini Bitch
Born: 15 Apr 2012
Dog #3: Vala
Born: 28 Feb 2012
is a: Black Giant Bitch

Post by Snazy »

I start it a little differently to everyone else, I don't use a treat to lure them to look at my face, instead it comes from an extension of the recall exercise. I will turn to face away from the dog and call them, then as they move around to look at me, i will turn away from them again and repeat. It is a fun game for the dog and gets them used to doing this while they are in a more excited mood. Once they are infront of me and looking at me, I can then pause and say 'watch' hold it long enough (before they would naturally break away, remember it isn't a dog thing to look into anothers eyes) before I break it with a game.
'Pedigree indicates what the animal should be
Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be
But performance indicates what the animal is'

Anonymous

Beanara Minature & Giant Schnauzers
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

We had this today (again, not to mention yesterday at training *sigh*)...took Stanley on the common, cue excited barking at virtually everything..he was giving all the horses on there a right earful - of course the horses werent remotely bothered about this and didnt even bat an eyelid...a man said to us 'oh he is a noisy one isnt he?!' OH YES! (hypnotised)
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

(tuttut) we did push the boundaries a lot yesterday. (giggle)
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Tulip

Post by Tulip »

Today we went for a walk and Maisy saw a group of dogs in the middle of the park, started barking a lot...I refocussed and let her off, she bolted across to them, stopped about two metres away and slowly turned and ran back again! Right now we're still doing the walk-away when she barks and when I see the dog before she does I sit down beside her and praise and fuss her as she watches it...look mental, but she's been barking recently in more of an angst to SEE the dog as oppose to a guarding bark which is a big improvement for her.
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

When we are waiting for hubby outside the coop I sit with stan outside and praise and fuss him for being quiet, also when we are walking and someone passes us (opposite direction) and he doesnt bark or try to launch I give him a pat and praise - I think he is better than he used to be definately, its just when he sees other dogs he barks with anticipation and sounds like a crazed thing!
Gilly5
Puppy
First Name: Gillian
Dog #1: Hamish
Born: 02 Jul 2011

Post by Gilly5 »

Lol how funny...Hamish is the worst for screaming and yelping at everything. I take him on the school walk in the morning and all is quiet at the school gate until Hamish arrives. All the other dogs sit all quiet and there is Hamish yelping and causing an on carry. So frustrating but glad I am not the only one.
Gillian
hula-hoop

Post by hula-hoop »

^^^ It does get better, I promise! Just read my previous posts and Stanley has much improved over the last 6 months. It is very frustrating though isnt it, when everyone else has nice quiet dogs and the schnauzer is the devil on the end of the lead!
nessclair
First Name: Vanessa
Dog #1: Monty
Born: 21 Sep 2010

Post by nessclair »

Hmm! This all seems oddly familiar!!! I'm sure that people see Monty and me coming and do an about turn!! People in our area could do with walking with ear plugs in- very high pitched excitable yapping! My dog walker is going to try walking Monty with her dog this week- her suggestion- rather her than me- I'm quite glad she's trying it first, so I can see how it goes. I tried to walk with a little shitzu the other day for a bit, but Monty scared her off with his yapping!
Ness and Monty (S/P mini born 21.9.10 rehomed with me 13.8.11)
purplewolf
First Name: JJ
Dog #1: Molly

Post by purplewolf »

Myah only used to do the high pitch squeal and I mean HIGH pitched! when an over excited strange dog got too close to me, (jealousy) but she has started to do it with our Rotty who lives outside who she previously was ok with and when I go to feed the chickens. She's ok with Molly and Indie who live inside with her and is ok in the show ring. I feel like I have taken 10 steps back (crying) shouting no at her only makes the situation worse as I think she reckons Im joining in.
I'll try lifting her and putting her in the travel cage inside when she kicks off to see if she realises that all the squealing and barking wont get my attention.
Any other tips before I go completely mad
http://www.zionzur.co.uk
Black & Silver Mini Schnauzers
Indie - Silvatrix Shamrock Lady at ZionZur, Myah - Nenevale Northern Star at ZionZur, Molly -Mausbawn Princess & Sasha a rehomed Rottweiler