Toileting in the rain

Barking, humping, aggression are covered here. If you have a behavioural issue, please raise it here. Whether it be good or bad.
Caramomo
Site Admin
First Name: Elaine
Dog #1: Cara
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 05 Dec 2006
Dog #2: Momo
is a: Black Mini Bitch
Born: 14 Aug 2009
Dog #3: Molly
Born: 01 Aug 2010

Re: Toileting in the rain

Post by Caramomo »

Cara had a phase when she was about 6/7 months old that she point blank refused to go last thing at night, in the rain and would then wake me about 2 hours after bed desperate for a wee. After about four nights I had had enough, so last thing on went my mac and out came the brolly and I stood in the pouring rain for 45minutes until she finally went for a wee, at which point I went wild and she got a piece of (specially saved) sausage. She then realised that the longer she waited the wetter she got so from that point on has been fine. I would go for a combination of out until wee'd and if that doesn't work after a specified time he goes in his crate for 15 mins before trying again. He'll soon get the message that the quicker he pee's outside the quicker he is allowed back in and is given free reign of the house only when he pee's.
Cara and Mo, two black mini's and Molly a black & white Heinz 57 all served by Elaine, the cook, poop picker, and chief toy thrower.
I live by the Mini Schnauzer code; when in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Barb wrote:We have a similar problem with Merlin, he will not go to the toilet in the garden unless he is absolutely desperate and i cannot remember the last time he had a poo in the garden, he always has to go out to do his toileting.

It is ok, but a bit of a pain if it is raining later at night and we still have to take him a short walk to get him to go to the toilet
Any ideas what we can do to encourage him to go in the garden (like he used to do when he was a small pup)
Thanks
Stanley is exactly the same, I was walking him at half eleven at night last weekend as I had been out and he needed his evening pee walk! Are we sure Merlin and Stanny arent secretly brothers?! (giggle)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
Suzie
First Name: Suzie
Dog #1: Sawyer
Born: 20 Dec 2010

Post by Suzie »

Caramomo wrote: I would go for a combination of out until wee'd and if that doesn't work after a specified time he goes in his crate for 15 mins before trying again. He'll soon get the message that the quicker he pee's outside the quicker he is allowed back in and is given free reign of the house only when he pee's.
Thanks for all the advice everyone, I like this idea of Caramomo's and will start trying it when the rain inevitably comes back.

Very weird having a dog that hates the water, I was mostly around Golden Retrievers when I was growing up and they absolutely loved the water and mud.
At the beck and call of Sawyer, born 20/12/2010.
riiseni

Post by riiseni »

Neither of mine go for a wee if it's raining. Annie doesn't come out of the car if it's raining unless I put her raincoat on..
Giants in my life
Lizzie
Annie
Erik
Archie 2003-2010

Most Friendship is Feigning, most Loving mere Folly.
-Shakespeare-
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

Can't really fault Coby. When we first started training (in the snow) he learnt wee or don't come in and we have done that every night from 8 weeks old (he's now 7months). He knew exactly what we wanted. Then we moved house 2 months ago and he isn't doing his last wee at night, and for 2 months I have gone bed thinking there will be a puddle when when I come down, and he's just been holding and proving me wrong. I can't remember the last time I had the mop bucket out. I do think he has broken the mould as he loves dirt, rain, water (swamps) anything that stinks an gets him wet and messy! lol
Oskypops

Post by Oskypops »

Remind me not to visit your house Jo&Jodie, if you can't remember the last time you had the mop and bucket out (giggle)
Richard - Daddy to Oscar (p/s standard), Harvey (liver and white GSP) and Buttons (wannabe Rottweiler - although actually a Norfolk Terrier, Jack Russell cross)
Merlins Mommy
First Name: Barb
Dog #1: Merlin
Born: 25 Jun 2010

Post by Merlins Mommy »

I know i think Merlin and Stanley are secret brothers too!!

We always have to do a late night just before bed walk otherwise he just wont wee or poo
Last night when we went on the field he was a bit of a pain barking at other dogs, i think it is just how the mood takes him because other times he is totally silent.......
Merlin (p & s born 25.6.10)
Jo&Jodie

Post by Jo&Jodie »

Lmao!! I should be more careful what I write! We have 2 mop buckets!! lol
hula-hoop
First Name: sara
Dog #1: Stanley
Born: 04 Jun 2010

Post by hula-hoop »

Barb wrote:I know i think Merlin and Stanley are secret brothers too!!

We always have to do a late night just before bed walk otherwise he just wont wee or poo
Last night when we went on the field he was a bit of a pain barking at other dogs, i think it is just how the mood takes him because other times he is totally silent.......
Yep, definately long lost brothers (giggle)
Stanley ratbag - s & p mini born 4/6/10
henrys mum
First Name: Cathy
Dog #1: Cassis
is a: Black Giant Bitch
Dog #2: Odin
is a: Black Giant Dog

Post by henrys mum »

When we first got Cassis she refused to go outside when it was raining, even if it had stopped raining and the floor was wet she'd refuse. We didn't like dragging her across the kitchen so we picked her up and put her outside til she'd gone to the loo. She soon got the idea but even now sometimes I have to point to the door and tell her "OUT"
Me (Cathy), O.H., Kids (x2) Cassis and Odin (mad giants in disguise as fur babies)
R.I.P. Henry xx
daisys_mummy

Post by daisys_mummy »

riiseni wrote:Neither of mine go for a wee if it's raining. Annie doesn't come out of the car if it's raining unless I put her raincoat on..

Hee hee hee you've got a soft dog! :D