Grooming

Thought of something to make the forum better. Then please share. We welcome suggestions to improve the forum.
dannie_kl

Re: Grooming

Post by dannie_kl »

Chelsey i took a beard and eyebrows off once on a mini because the girlfiriends boyfriend said thats how she likes it! i felt so embarrassed and hoped no one would ask where they had their dog trimmed. Now i wont do it. If you want a skinned animal or a bog brush tail then find a groomer who will because i simply wont send a dog walking down the street like that, every dog i groom is a walking advert of my ability as a groomer and even if the owner asks for it and i say they must tell people they specifically ask for it you bet if another dog owner says where did you get your dog trimmed in a funny tone they'll say your name but they'll leave out the fact they specifically request that dodgy hairstyle!
ChelseaandMissy
First Name: Chelsea
Dog #1: MissyMoo
Born: 07 Feb 2010

Post by ChelseaandMissy »

didnt think of that sort of comeback re. of people asking where the dog was groomed... luckily it wasnt one i do for my grooming it was one in the salon i also work in ;) ... But the lady who runs the salon leaves the tails bushy and i dont like that!! ... Missy's is shaved as close as her body as i think that looks better
Missy 7/2/2010
JennysMum

Post by JennysMum »

"Just because adog is going no where near a show ring it doesnt mean they shouldnt look like a schnauzer. people do have this obsession that it only needs to look like the breed standard and be trimmed like a schnauzer should be if its going in the show ring, its fascinating!"

@Dannies Mum I know you are very passionate about your grooming but believe me picking mouse guts on a regular basis out of a full schnauzer beard is no fun even when it is short it is not nice Lol! I cut her practically for her lifestyle as Tulip says she is not Typy and of any nobility of breeding and her body shape would not be complemented by a traditional cut she has a tiny neck and head useful for sticking in holes tho :).

I respect you as a purist to the breed everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I don't think Jen is unschnauzery :) she defniately is in character just not a typical schnauzer cut given her lifestyle. I am not in any way obsessed about how Jen looks or anti traditional grooming :) It is just I really don't see the point given our lifestyle. I am always proud to walk her down the street even when she is all wet and scraggy she is my best friend x
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

Its a general observation accross this board that people for some reason do seem to feel that because their dog is not a "show dog" it should look like anything but a schnauzer but what i'm saying is ok most people dont want to handstrip their dog and thats totally fine, its bloomin hard work and sometimes i wish i could clip all of mine but i have chosen to put my dogs in the conformation ring but there are good groomers out there who can trim a good schnauzer. Granted your dog leads a very active lifestyle and is a very outdoors-y dog etc and thats fair do's we all have different things we get up to with our best friends but you know what else people say? and i'm not saying you but even people i meet in the park-I cut my own dog because i cant afford a dog groomer. This surprises me somewhat as I am shocked they didnt realise the dog would need regular grooming for the rest of its life and i always make sure this is fully clear to any new puppy owners who buy from me. on some basic sums the average price for a mini trim is £30, thats £3.75 per week on an 8 weekly grooming schedule. The dog will need grooming 6 times in the year totalling £180. Surely owners are not so hard up out there they cant afford £3.75 per week for their dog? its not even one packet of cigarettes and just over the price of a pint. sorry gone off on a tangent big style. this is not a pick at you Jennys mum, as i say just picking up on things people in general say both here and out and about. I realise I am very lucky being a dog groomer and having groomer friends but its exactly the same as being married to a plumber for instance, that beautiful bathroom suite you never could have afforded to pay someone to install you get done because hubby's a plumber, I couldnt afford to pay £30 7 times over every 8 weeks but then i would have 7 dogs if i were in that position, its swings and roundabouts really.