Putting drops in eyes.... Any tips?

Looking after the health and welfare of your Schnauzer can be a full time job. You will find information on neutering, spaying, vaccinations, vet visits, upset tummies, Schnauzer bumps and much more here. Ask a question and someone will have had a similar experience. We also appreciate updates on how your Schnauzer is recuperating. A separate section is dedicated to our older Schnauzers.
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Putting drops in eyes.... Any tips?

Post by GoEmGo »

Hi all

Our boy, Monty, has a nasty bout of conjunctivitis. His left eye started getting green gunk in it on Sunday and by the evening he was pawing it like crazy. Monday was a trip to the vet and we have fusidic acid ointment style drops for him. We have so far got about 5 doses in his eye, each time getting ever more difficult to apply. He really hates the drops. Any tips at all to make this easier?He is a real wriggler, and while the eye is getting better, we still have a few days of drops to go yet!

Thank you

Emma and Monty

Oscar 12345
First Name: Julie
Dog #1: Oscar RIP Sweety
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 21 Dec 2002
Dog #2: Otto
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 04 Jul 2017

Re: Putting drops in eyes.... Any tips?

Post by Oscar 12345 »

When Otto was a pup he had eyelashes that grew inwards, scratched his eye and caused conjunctivitis so I had to administer drops. God it was impossible when he was a pup. I think I could do it now. First make sure he is quite tired and then pop him on the grooming table. Get the very best treat you can and make sure he knows it's there, keep telling him what you want to do first with a "let me look" cue. Then quickly pop them in and reward immediately. Some mistakes I made when he was a pup, trying to catch him unawares made him very wary of me approaching him, smart cookies they are. I tried to get OH to help, that made him even more worried lol. So best is to let him know what you want to do and that he gets great reward for letting it be done. That's just my experience. Maybe others have some good ideas.
Man cannot survive with wine alone...
we also need a schnauzer.
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Try following the same routine you use when trimming/grooming around his eyes. He knows whats going on which hopefully will settle him a bit more. Maybe going through the routine without putting drops in every time but lots of treats may help.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
GoEmGo
First Name: Emma
Dog #1: Montgomery (Monty)
Born: 22 Dec 2018

Post by GoEmGo »

Thanks both. I'll try the tactics suggested! Like I say, the eye is so much better than Sunday already but I want to complete the course prescribed! Hopefully, Monty will let me!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

If you're getting some in you're doing better than I would with OH =)) He's terrible with anything to do with his eyes. He cant even watch other people put eye drops in :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"