New Mini Pup - Alfie.

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
brownlee82
Puppy

New Mini Pup - Alfie.

Post by brownlee82 »

My wife and I have just got a mini schnauzer puppy. He has been with us for a week now and is sleeping in his (open) crate in the kitchen overnight (around 2230-0600) with very little crying. House training seems to be going in the right direction with the odd out of character random poo or wee!

However, over the last day his stool is very loose, almost diahorrea like. He has the recommended amount of Eukanuba puppy food with very small treats to reward succesful toilet trips. He also has chew sticks.
Is there something we are doing wrong or is it just a normal puppy thing? Also, any tips on introducing a leash as he goes bananas and bukaroos when I try to put it on, both inside and in the garden.....

Any other tips from more experienced owners would be most welcome.

Anthony.
susie

Re: New Mini Pup - Alfie.

Post by susie »

Hi, welcome to you and Alfie (waving)
Sounds as if you are doing very well with his sleeping and toilet training.

We also have an Alfie, a black 23 month old mini.
We found that the chew sticks upset our Alfie's tummy so it may be those.

Don't worry too much about his lead training. They soon forget they have it on once they can go out for a walk in the big wide world. [walkies]

Look forward to seeing some photos of another Alfie!
Sue & My Boy Alfie
terri

Post by terri »

Hi, I am also an Alfie owner along with another 2 mini schnauzers. Some mini's can be a little sensitive in the tummy department. I think animals when they are young are more sensitve and then harden up a bit when they are older, bit like human children.

When I got my pedigree cat, he was on Iams kitten, but my god his poo was like cow pats for a few months and everytime you picked him up , he let of wind. He was awful. I never thought we would sort him out. He was at the vets for various tests but he was totally fine, they found nothing. I did swap his food and eventually things improved but Im not sure if it was the food or just the fact that he grew up and his system improved.

I have my dogs on arden grange and am so pleased with the results, they have not gained loads of weight and they love it. Its a really good quality food. Its wheat and gluten free too, or you could try James Wellbeloved too, they all do puppy food.

You should maybe try giving him just his food kibbles as treats for a while, so know he is only getting these. The treats you are giving him maybe too rich maybe? You can get low fat treats or hypoallergenic treats by James Wellbeloved too. Just some ideas for you.

Things will work out but dont keep chaning his food, leave him on it for at least 2 months and change any diet gradually by mixing and increasing the quanity of the new to old, until completing the full change.

I remember my Westie pulling away on his lead, but as stated before, it wont be long before they go outside and pulling forwards, then you have another issue to train! Good luck.
jo b
First Name: Jo
Dog #1: Lily
is a: B/S Mini Bitch
Born: 17 Jul 2020

Post by jo b »

My two Ebony and Mutley were lead shy at first too. But it doesn't take long for them to associate that the lead means going out somewhere exciting even if its just the garden to begin with.

I remember we couldn't wait for them to have had their final injections and then waited the extra few days as advised and were so excited about taking them for their first walk-but everytime a car went past Ebony went under a hedge and we ended up carrying them most of the way. Infact it took some weeks for them to get their confidence.

Just make the most of those puppy days they soon whizz past!
brownlee82
Puppy

Post by brownlee82 »

Thanks for all the advice, it is appreciated. I think we'll use his food kibbles as treats for a bit and see if things settle. He seems to be doing pretty well otherwise.
evie

Post by evie »

When Pepper was a puppy, I let him run around the house with his collar on to help him get used to wearing it. I would also put it on when I carried him out somewhere, so he got to see having the collar on was a good thing. For his first walk I drove to the park and just let him wonder around, he was to interested in the park to worry about having a lead attached to his collar.

Has Alfie eaten something in your garden that could have upset his tum?
miniforme
First Name: Lisa

Post by miniforme »

How is alfie doing today is there any improvement ?
ImageBig dogs in little packages
brownlee82
Puppy

Post by brownlee82 »

No improvement as yet. he is okay in himself and seems happy enough. He has his last jab on saturday so i'll mebtion it to the vet then....
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

It may just be that he needs a different food, i have heard some top trainers say eukanuba is like rocket fuel for dogs so maybe it doesnt agree with him, having said that my little pup freya had such terrible wind on Burns which is meant to be like one of the best so she has joined the others and is on Arden Grange, maybe its the food or maybe its just the moving to his new home etc which has got him all at 6's and 7's.
Chris
First Name: Chris
Dog #1: MOLLY
Born: 09 Aug 2001

Post by Chris »

brownlee82 wrote:No improvement as yet. he is okay in himself and seems happy enough. He has his last jab on saturday so i'll mebtion it to the vet then....
Hi,
Its looks like your crate and house training is going very well.
As for his loose stools, as previously said, adult treats and chews can upset puppys tummy.
There are many puppy treats on the market, or use a bit of cooked chicken or sausage.
It may be like alot of puppies he is mouching around your garden eating things he shouldn't.
I lost my clematis this weeks to a four month old puppy. (tuttut)
If it carries on till Saturday I would mention it to the vet before he gives second jab.
Good Luck
MY Molly P/S 10yrs young,
Black and Silvers - Penny 5yrs, Alice 4yrs.
Pepper and Salts - Roxy 3 yrs, Una 2yr, Kelly 2yr Maggie May 6 mths.

Pepper and Salt Spanish Spencer 18 mths
The Giants - Bella and Hannah (Mother and Daughter).