Mini stud

Information on finding your puppy, the Assured Breeders Scheme, the Kennel Club and issues relating to breeding your Schnauzer are dealt with in this section.
Forum rules
Please do not discuss breeders or raise issues concerning breeders on the forum. This has created problems in the past and many breeders are not members and unable to defend any claim you may make.
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Mini stud

Post by Teddy boo boo »

Hi, my stepson is thinking about studding his mini but he has no idea how to go about it, any info would be greatly received, many thanks xxx
Dinkum
Tech Team
First Name: Dean
Dog #1: Rupert RIP
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 24 Dec 2010
Dog #2: Watson
is a: Black Mini Dog
Born: 21 Feb 2012

Re: Mini stud

Post by Dinkum »

Hi Christie

This sort of post normally gets people a bit over excited :( so beware of the backlash ;)

You will see quite a few posts in the Similar Posts section, which is right at the bottom of this page. Lots to read up on.
Dean (Dog dad)
Rupert, black mini, 24/12/10 - 01/03/24
Watson, black mini born 21/02/12

I offer my advice freely, but I am not an expert, breeder, groomer or behaviourist. It is simply my experience of raising pups in a way that seems to make sense.
zeta1454
First Name: Leigh
Dog #1: Magic
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Apr 2010
Dog #2: Trilby
Born: 15 Mar 2012
Dog #3: Pip
Born: 21 Feb 2014

Post by zeta1454 »

If anyone is planning on using their dogs for breeding responsibly ( this includes stud dogs) the best start is to obtain a quality puppy from a respected breeder with the agreement and intention from the outset that the dog will be used to breed from. Most quality puppies from responsible breeders will have been sold with an endorsement to prevent any puppies bred from that dog or bitch in the future being able to be registered at the Kennel Club without the express written consent of the breeder in lifting the endorsement.

If your stepson is wanting to responsibly breed (stud) his dog then he will need to make sure the dog has an exemplary pedigree, that he has eye certificates from a BVA qualified vet to say that he is clear of any hereditary eye problems, check via the Kennel Club the dog's Health Pedigree to ensure that there is no record of any eye issues with any dogs in his family. It would also be worth discussing with the dog's breeder if any eye or other health issues have been known in the past if he trusts the breeder to be honest :D

The main issue really with anyone wanting to start studding a dog is that (unless it is someone just looking to make cash rather than doing so responsibly) any good breeder who is looking to improve their line will be searching for a stud which has an outstanding pedigree, been judged by several judges in the show ring as of excellent temperament, health and conformation, and in some cases a proven track record of producing puppies of sound quality and conformation. Even puppies that are going to pet homes from responsible breeders will come with top class pedigrees most particularly on the stud side as breeders will use the stud to improve on the quality of their bitch and not the reverse.

Ideally it is worth joining a breed club, getting to know other breeders and discussing the potential stud dog with them. Breeding really does take a lot of forward planning even for someone with a stud and it is worth looking into it deeply before undertaking this kind of step. There is plenty of information also on the Kennel Club website :)

This is the link to the Kennel Club information booklet regarding using your dog at stud:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/8313/stud.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras

Magic - Silversocks Sharade at Darksprite
Trilby - Darksprite Rosa Bud

https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/C ... 916994967/
BeeBee
First Name: Janetta

Post by BeeBee »

Teddy boo boo wrote:Hi, my stepson is thinking about studding his mini but he has no idea how to go about it, any info would be greatly received, many thanks xxx
Why is he thinking about it....?
Jasmine (RIP) Renae b.01.11.10, sister to Susie-Belle (RIP), Twinkle (RIP), Cerise & Albert Claude puppy farm rescues, my muses
Creator of Schnauzerfest a good thing made possible by 1000s of good people & dogs
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Susie-Be ... 0289434936
http://www.janettaharvey.com/
Teddy boo boo
First Name: Christie

Post by Teddy boo boo »

Thanks guys that info is helpful I will pass it all onto my stepson ;)