Oh heck...she didn't come back!

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
squidgy100

Oh heck...she didn't come back!

Post by squidgy100 »

Well that was an adventure today....Lolah has been fabulous off lead with recall right up to today....when she didn't come back!!!!

A kind lady picked her up and she went straight back into the lead! I let her off a couple more times after a few minutes but still never came back (well clearly did otherwise this topic would be on a more serious note...lost dog!) even with the promise of chicken!!!

I'm guessing it's back to the long line tomorrow and maybe a change if high level treat...possibly cheese!

Any advice out there???

Lolah mini moo's mummy * aka Nadia
All because of Lolah!
http://www.facebook.com/littletugtugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/littleladydoggycreations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: Oh heck...she didn't come back!

Post by Dawnspell »

The little monkey =)) Yes definitely back on the longline for more training.

We used to play yoyo recall in the garden or the house. 2 or 3 of you a distance apart and call Lolah come. She only gets the treat if she goes to the one that called. No treat if she anticipates whos going to call and runs to them :) When shes good at that you can start hiding and calling come, that's a good one in the house so she cant escape.

Barney is more toy orientated than food. Use a favourite toy that is saved just for recall on walks.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
squidgy100

Post by squidgy100 »

Thanks Alison....clearly need to continue....she's a feisty little girl....definitely a bit like her mum....knows what she wants [WINKING FACE]

All because of Lolah!
http://www.facebook.com/littletugtugs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/littleladydoggycreations" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eddie
First Name: Graham

Post by Eddie »

Keep some treats in a jar at home and always give the jar a rattle before she gets a treat. She should soon associate the rattle with a treat and will hopefully come running. You could add a couple of marbles to the jar for extra noise. You should only rattle the jar when she doesn't come to her name.
Our Eddie would sometimes get in the "zone" if there were interesting smells around (and he would just not hear) so I kept a little whistle on my keyring and taught him to come to 2 sharp blasts. The sharpness and shrillness of it would cut through the mist and he would usually come running.
Graham, Judie, Eddie (19-03-07 to 25-07-12), Mouse, Daisy and little Reilly. Image
squidgy100

Post by squidgy100 »

We have a tub at home which we did recall her back into the house with from the garden!

I think we're just gonna start again in the house and see if that works....unfortunately it does need two people as she's following me now as I have liver cake in my hand.....no recall required!

All because of Lolah!
GaryThomlinson
First Name: Gary
Dog #1: Penny
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 20 Mar 2013
Dog #2: Daisy (Rescue)
is a: P/S Mini Bitch
Born: 28 Aug 2006

Post by GaryThomlinson »

I've developed two signals for this. The usual retrieval command 'come' which works 90% of the time, the other 10% is when Penny is just plain ignoring me because she wants to do something else, like sniff around the park and not go home. I can live with that as with a little encouragement she eventually complies. Unless there is danger or other need, which is when the second signal is used. A whistle I have on a lanyard around my neck along with the training clicker. She's been trained to immediately stop and return or at least not move when this is used. She always obeys this as its rarely used and was instilled at a very young age as the emergency signal.

It was most recently used to prevent her escaping a park and running into a busy road. She was being chased by another dog and she was trying to get back to the car. She got as far as the pavement, about to run over the road busy with vehicles when I stopped shouting and blew the whistle. She immediately stopped at the curb and didn't move. Thankfully.
Gary
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

A few things that have worked for us
- walk or run in the opposite direction
- hide behind a tree or bush
- shout OK see you later
- squeaky ball

I also have the added advantage of two dogs, if one comes back & the other doesn't I make a huge, noisy, fuss and the other one thinks they are missing out =))
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
Lulu5779
Puppy
First Name: Louise

Post by Lulu5779 »

Complete novice here so no experience to offer but I have read on training tip for an emergency recall.

When ever you give your dog it's dinner or breakfast always blow a dog whistle as you put it down.

Then if your ever out and recall fails badly and you urgently need your dog back blow the whistle.

I think it's when all other attempts fail and you start panicking.

Obviously reinforce the recall training but may be used as a last resort.

Best regards
starfish
Puppy
First Name: Stella
Dog #1: Fitz
Born: 16 May 2014

Post by starfish »

I have had the same issue with Fitz. He was doing really well with recall, or so I thought, until last week when he decided he didnt like the new park we were in and headed back to the car park :-o
He just wouldn't stop and luckily another dog owner helped, but since then he has been back on his long lead and I am using smelly fish skin from fish4dogs as a reward and things seem to be improving, I really dont want anymore heart in the mouth moments though so I have decided to be the crazy woman in the park running around and making a fool of myself to keep his attention!
squidgy100

Post by squidgy100 »

Ha ha. It's the only way!!! Lolah was great this morning, although I feel I may be needing a suitcase to wheel all my ammunition round. She was on her long line, had treats in tub to shake and liver cake as a treat......worked a treat today....I think she knows she did wrong!

My only concern now is I feel more like the pied piper in the park as I have every dog coming for treats if I call her!

Mmmm may try fish for dig treats tomorrow....I think varying her treats may help too! Lolah would never walk back to the car park....in fact goes in strike as soon as she sees the car park and doesn't then move....had to pick her up this morning to go home!

All because of Lolah!
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

Barney too puts the breaks on when he sees the car if he doesn't think his walk was long enough.

I noticed you've put Nadia in your signature to show at the bottom of posts. If you go into Edit Profile and put Nadia in Christian name box it will show in the details under your avatar photo :-bd If you want to of course :))
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
Gina

Post by Gina »

Hi - I use this - it works for us 75 percent of the time but if she's on the scent of a rabbit or is in selective hearing mode forget it - so I still don't have a foolproof method and have come to the conclusion I'm not going to have one :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
lj_thorne
First Name: Lisa
Dog #1: Barnaby
Born: 16 Oct 2010
Dog #2: Albert
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 24 Jul 2012
Dog #3: Sherman
Born: 21 Sep 2014
is a: B/S Mini Dog

Post by lj_thorne »

We have one dog who is so loyal he trips you up and then there's Albert!!!!

I can only describe Albert as an individual lone traveller..... Never to be let off a long lead unless in secure compounds!
=)) =))
Human slave to my three furry boys Albert, Sherman and Rupert the Bear

Barnaby 🌈

https://m.facebook.com/schnauzerlads/
oscarsmate
First Name: stuart
Dog #1: oscar
Born: 28 Dec 2008

Post by oscarsmate »

We've given up on Oscar being let off his lead unless it's on a deserted beach with 2 mile visibility or an enclosed park with nobody there. at all !

He's great on his own but if he sees another human or dog then he's off totally deaf to any calls. We've tried everything.....

I'm now so embarrassed when he meets another dog that I usually choose a time when I expect he won't meet anybody or if he does just pick him up and apologise in advance.

We just can't trust him......
Oscar 28/12/2008 - 27/8/2019 taken too soon, truly loved and sorely missed. He was a
n annoying git but he was our git :D
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

I was given a tip for training, put a variety of high, medium, low value treats in your treat bag. They never know what they are going to get ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage