Night times in 8 month yr old

Want to know something about training your Schnauzer. Feel free to browse through this section. You will find everything from toilet training, recall and other training issues covered here. Feel free to ask your own questions too. You will have a perfectly behaved Schnauzer in no time.
piper27
First Name: Karen

Night times in 8 month yr old

Post by piper27 »

Some advice needed please. We have gone backwards with night times/toilet training.
We have a mini who is now 8 months.
She sleeps in an open crate with small pen attached in our kitchen and has done since we got her. We had got to the stage where she would go to bed without fuss about 11 and when we came down in the morning she would mostly have been dry but occasionally she would have had a pee.
Recently she has started make a racket before we are awake %-( and more often than not she has had a pee .
Nothing else has really changed. I wondered if it is just the lighter mornings waking her up but trying to make the room darker hasn't really improved things (however unable to block out natural light completely)
Her day time toileting has slipped a bit too with the odd indoor accident however mostly she is ok.
Any suggestions?
I had thought maybe we should just close her in the crate as she'd most likely not wee in there although she might still howl but my husband is not keen on this as he thinks it's too small a space.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Re: Night times in 8 month yr old

Post by Maty »

Hi and welcome :-h

Maybe get a bigger crate, depending on the size you have now, and shut her in overnight, she is very unlikely to toilet in her bed space and it is easier to cover three sides of it to make it darker ;)
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage
redalert
First Name: Sue
Dog #1: Fizz
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 09 Jan 2010
Dog #2: Bo
is a: Black Std Bitch
Born: 16 Jan 2012

Post by redalert »

Have you changed your cleaning products? When I had my 1st little girl I used bleach based products thinking I was doing what was best only to learn that that encourages them to wee there. I changed to Simple Solution and within a couple of days, she almost stopped having accidents. I also found that putting her in a shut crate with her bed in one end and puppy pads in the end by the door, if she did have an accident it was out of her beddings way but they do say that a dog will never soil its bed.
piper27
First Name: Karen

Post by piper27 »

Thanks for the suggestions. we have started closing the crate and this seems to be making a difference.
Maty
First Name: Kate
Dog #1: Isaura Lucidus
Born: 10 Aug 2011
Dog #2: Darksprite Finn Mac
Born: 17 Mar 2013

Post by Maty »

piper27 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. we have started closing the crate and this seems to be making a difference.
Glad it has worked, always good to hear if any advice works :-bd
Maty

Rodders the Mini Pup, born 10/08/11, came home on 09/10/11
Creggan the Mini Pup, born 17/03/13, came home on 01/06/13

Proud of my Scottish Heritage