Mookie's progress

Training, Behaviour and Dog Sport all have their own section, so please post your question where you feel it is most appropriate.
mookie&me

Mookie's progress

Post by mookie&me »

Hi all,

I was thinking of updating on how Mookie was getting on since her insane bolting episode on her first birthday (tuttut)

Quite a lot has improved since then, and it's very hard (as ever) to know what was simply coincidence and what was an amalgamation of months of training which finally paid off (question)

The following 3 things are what I put it down to:

1. even more consistency. Eg. On the walk to the park we do heelwork on lead so much so that at training on Sunday she walked to heel (then sit, then down) off lead! I didn't even realise she could do it!

2. new treats. I have been using what I thought were high value treats for her training, recall etc..: frankfurter tinned sausages. Now as someone who barfs their dog and puts yummy meat and veg in her tummy (actually, same goes for kibble feeders), I should have been more aware of what a high additive treat might be doing (hypnotised) . Anyway, Joni's post a few weeks ago about tuna treats was the turning point. I make a batch a week and she really does recall to it and work for little pieces.

3. a new noise! I had been trying it out before I went to Llandudno, but as Joni did it for her dogs, I tried it more often with Mookie, and the noise is really helping. It's the kind of click click you'd say to a horse if you wanted him to gee-up (sounds are difficult to describe!) and when I use it, Mookie responds around 90% of the time, whereas before I'd say her recall was less than 70%. At training the trainer suggested a whistle, and gave the reason that it doesn't hold emotion, whereas a voice manically calling "Mookie" at high volume carries too much and might put the dog off coming back (or worse, panic her so she bolts). The whistle is still an option, but the click-click works in a similar way - ie. devoid of emotion.

So, hope that helps someone. Mookie is almost 13 months now and we are really enjoying working together. For a few months it was painful but consistency and some thoughts about reassessing training has brought us a long way.
(dogrun)
nickycaplan

Re: Mookie's progress

Post by nickycaplan »

great progress! and when her portrait wins the dog photo of the year award, she really will be a little star.....nah she is already!!!
schnauzer lover...dog artist www.nickycaplan.com
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Awww.. thanks Nicky! As I have competitive mum syndrome, if we even get close to that prize, I'll be teaching her to walk on her hind legs and hold up the trophy herself (prize) [laughing] [laughing]
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

great to hear how mookie is doing since your terrifying ordeal!
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Well done, it's hard to see how far you've come sometimes until you look back.

Your point 3 is good, we teach the clicky noise as an interrupting signal in our classes for exactly the same reason - it carries no emotion, if you are panicky or cross that will come over in words. Although when Darwin went through his horrible piggy squealing phase I had to resort to a small squeaky ball as he just couldn't hear my clicking.
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Sianny
First Name: Sian
Dog #1: Ralphy
is a: B/S Mini Dog
Born: 12 Feb 2009
Dog #2: George
is a: P/S Mini Dog
Born: 25 Mar 2011

Post by Sianny »

Well done Mookie - I enjoyed reading that, it's amazing how quickly she's picking stuff up, to transfer on lead to off lead is pretty fantastic!

Interesting RE: click clicky noise - must try this! :D
Follow Ralphy on Facebook (occasionally featuring George) http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralphy-th ... 9952249008
Darwinsmum

Post by Darwinsmum »

Sianny wrote:Well done Mookie - I enjoyed reading that, it's amazing how quickly she's picking stuff up, to transfer on lead to off lead is pretty fantastic!

Interesting RE: click clicky noise - must try this! :D
You need to train Ralph to know the click means something good so make the noise and reward with treat or toy. Then when you make the noise he'll know you're more interesting than what he's looking at etc
Darwin and Mia 2 heatbeats at my feet
A life without dogs - I don't think so!
www.lincsdogtraining.co.uk
Joni

Post by Joni »

Re: whilstle -

I have started training to a whilstle for recall, as the click does work for me but Dylan can't hear that when he has bolted 400 yards to go harrass another dog on the beach. So whistle is our training of choice at present. Two short blows, I started in the house giving the signal before food at dinner to start the connection with food then close recall. Layla, no suprise has learnt it in a nano second. Dylan is variable at the moment and in truth he is no better with whilstle or voice, but as Mookie&me states when Dyl does not come back i get very cross about it all!!! So we will plod along with it more...........
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Ha! But I've never seen you throw down your lead in resignation... Dylan is a slow burner, not a pressure cooker. He'll one day just get it and you won't remember him ever being different. Girls are always just slightly faster at stuff (giggle)

Good to hear about how you connect the whistle and the food. Good tip.
Joni

Post by Joni »

Ha! But I've never seen you throw down your lead in resignation

Ask Riisini she has! [laughing] [laughing]
www.clontarfhotel.co.uk
www.mory.co.uk

For holidays in lovely Llandudno, North Wales!
puppypower

Post by puppypower »

so nice to hear how well Mookie is doing in her training as she is only a little younger than Jasper born on the 4th April 09 he seems to have imporved after some tricky times running up to 1, it sounds like you have put in lot of effort and been well rewarded for it. I have not put in time so much as worked on my energy and staying calm and confident if I get angry or upset or he thinks I don't mean what I say 100% he won't listen or respond at all, in his mind Ive lost it and he is in command. Of course Mookie being a girl does help a great deal lol (giggle)
Dawn (human) and my monochromatic friend Jasper, born 4th April 09 my Mini Schnauzer to the rescue

The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.
- Unknown
Pottydottie

Post by Pottydottie »

nickycaplan wrote:great progress! and when her portrait wins the dog photo of the year award, she really will be a little star.....nah she is already!!!

Nicky says it all but well done to you for all your hard work, i think you get yourshelf a treat but I still love mookie what every she does (kiss)
Molly (17/6/2005 - 11/9/2016) the 3 Essex girls Gemma, Dottie and Daisy Mae
dannie_kl

Post by dannie_kl »

@ Joni, I am using a whistle too and like layla freya got it on the second time! ruby-here's 2 fingers to you!, kolo hmmmm where is freya going??? sapphire-i'm too cute to do what she wants, people love me being naughty so i'll do that instead!
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

puppypower wrote:so nice to hear how well Mookie is doing in her training as she is only a little younger than Jasper born on the 4th April 09 he seems to have imporved after some tricky times running up to 1, it sounds like you have put in lot of effort and been well rewarded for it. I have not put in time so much as worked on my energy and staying calm and confident if I get angry or upset or he thinks I don't mean what I say 100% he won't listen or respond at all, in his mind Ive lost it and he is in command. Of course Mookie being a girl does help a great deal lol (giggle)
I have to say that from about 8 to 12 months (looking back) Mookie tested my patience quite a lot. I lost it a few times and she picked up on that. I know exactly what you mean and how you felt (crying) . What turned the corner for me was going to training again (I was waiting for a good one to start) along with the treats, sound and consistent training when we're out. I'm a lot more confident in her and she in me. If you read any of Joni's posts about Dylan, her rescue giant, I think you'll see the changes in him accelerated from her going back to her training classes too. It's like they know that something is expected of them, and not just to come back in the park..

The progress Mookie's made has brought us closer and I really enjoy the training, whereas back in the autumn when I attended another course I thought it was all a bit manic and the dogs didn't learn much. Part of that is the training class, and part of it is the maturity of the dog. I couldn't have been teaching a down/stay with Mookie at 4 months as she would have been more interested in the other puppies, but now she and I have grown to understand each other more, we work much better.

Sorry for a rambly post, but I just wanted to reassure you that I went through the stage with Mookie where she knew my command but worked out whether there was anything in it for her, rather than simply responding. It drove me mad and she knew it - not happy times in the Mookie household!
mookie&me

Post by mookie&me »

Pottydottie wrote:
nickycaplan wrote:great progress! and when her portrait wins the dog photo of the year award, she really will be a little star.....nah she is already!!!

Nicky says it all but well done to you for all your hard work, i think you get yourshelf a treat but I still love mookie what every she does (kiss)
You two are so sweet... Mookie says thank you very much (kiss)