New here - Viki the white schnauzer

Please feel free to introduce yourself and your Schnauzer to the rest of the members of the forum. A photo of your Schnauzer is always appreciated.

Moderators: GaryThomlinson, zeta1454, Dawnspell

Forum rules
Please do not post questions regarding your dog here. This area allows people to introduce themselves and get to know other members of the forum. Any specific issues can be raised in the appropriate section.
JoaoMP
First Name: Joao

New here - Viki the white schnauzer

Post by JoaoMP »

Hello!

I have been around dogs all my life, growing up I had 3 different yorkshires (#1 15 years, #2 unfortunate story, died when she was 1 year old and #3 still around 13 years old). Great dogs but once you go Schnauzer you can´t go back :D

I have had a white mini schnauzer, Viki, for the past 2 years and it has been superb. Physical abilities, temperament, everything is amazing and exactly what I was looking for in a breed. Actually, I am planning to add a second schnauzer to the family!

Viki:
still at the breeder

after 1st grooming

2y old, she is currently in "sheep mode", next week is grooming time!

Spi:
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
is a: White Mini Dog
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Re: New here - Viki the white schnauzer

Post by Dawnspell »

Hi and Welcome
Rather partial to a white myself :x
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
JoaoMP

Post by JoaoMP »

Thank you Alison for the welcome!

I read your topic about Jasper´s puppy days and loved the photos. By the way, as a white expert any tips on how to reduce oxidation on their beard to keep it a bit more white?
Dawnspell
First Name: Alison
Dog #1: Barney RIP 8/3/19
Born: 06 Feb 2013
Dog #2: Jasper
Born: 25 Apr 2019

Post by Dawnspell »

From what I know from experience and from other people each dog is different and some just happen to get it more than others and it can change throughout their lives same with tear staining. Some things I've come across are only giving filtered water (impossible in Jaspers case as hes always drinking rainwater outside), only using metal bowls, not feeding red meat (which is a waste of time) used to be giving a product called angel eyes but that used to have some sort of antibiotic in it so not recommended. Keeping teeth clean.

Using one of the purple tint shampoos when washing helps. If you wanted to wash everyday I'm sure it would stay a lot whiter but Jasper really doesnt like his beard being washed. I also trim the long bit on the side of the mouth on the lower jaw. There seems to be one long bit that is always stained it does make a slight difference in appearance. Generally I've just learnt to live with it, Jasper never seems to look neat and tidy even after a groom so it just fits his character =))

Jasper had some tear staining last year and it was because I had missed trimming the hair around the corner of his eyes and the tears seemed to drain down the hair.
Our first family dog
Barney - Pocketpark Biali Eyebright 6/2/13 - 8/3/19 Gone too soon
Motto for owners who groom their own Schnauzers -"Never mind it'll soon grow back"
JoaoMP

Post by JoaoMP »

Thank you for the tips!